Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating "sections" in Pages

Hello, this is my first post and am hopeful that I will resolve an issue I am having with a “Pages” Document.

I have created a 12 page document which I want to create a newsletter out of in the format of an A5 pamphlet. So at the moment each page is an A4 size but I need to reduce the size to A5 so that I can fit 2x A5 pages on each A4 in the pamphlet. It will also need to be double sided! I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle ie reordering the pages in the document. I have searched the forums for help and everyone says its all about ceating sections. Well. when I click at the end of the page and go to INSERT then SECTION BREAK, the section break is greyed out.

I have tried “showing invisibles” but this does not seem to make any difference.

Its a word processing document to which I added text boxes, photos and colour fills.

Can someone patient person kindly advise?

Thank you.

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 4:31 AM

There are programs out there that can take your newsletter, printed to pdf, and reduce and repaginate it to the double sided document that you want. The one I use, CocoaBooklet, doesn't work (without some hacking) on Snow Leopard, but if you search the forums for "booklet" you should get some suggestions. Or maybe Peggy will chime in with some; I think she has a list.

You haven't said whether your document is in word processing or page layout mode, but in page layout, each page is already a separate section, so section breaks don't apply.

If you want to do this all yourself, and the twelve pages are complete, I would suggest printing the document to pdf and opening it in preview. Then create a new A4 document in Pages. You can drag each page from the thumbnails sidebar of Preview into Pages as a single graphic object which can be resized and reordered as desired in the new document.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2012 4:31 AM in response to DD67

There are programs out there that can take your newsletter, printed to pdf, and reduce and repaginate it to the double sided document that you want. The one I use, CocoaBooklet, doesn't work (without some hacking) on Snow Leopard, but if you search the forums for "booklet" you should get some suggestions. Or maybe Peggy will chime in with some; I think she has a list.

You haven't said whether your document is in word processing or page layout mode, but in page layout, each page is already a separate section, so section breaks don't apply.

If you want to do this all yourself, and the twelve pages are complete, I would suggest printing the document to pdf and opening it in preview. Then create a new A4 document in Pages. You can drag each page from the thumbnails sidebar of Preview into Pages as a single graphic object which can be resized and reordered as desired in the new document.

Jan 16, 2012 6:50 AM in response to DD67

Can I ask one more question about this please?

I have indeed converted to a pdf and reorganised the order and its worked very well.

I then cut and pasted onto a new pages document, resizing as suggested.The bit that I dont understand is which is the best, word processing or page layout mode? One seems to create a lot of blank pages. whats the best mode for the first page and once I have completed one page what is the best way to create the next page.

Thanks for any help.

DD

Jan 16, 2012 7:03 AM in response to DD67

Here is my own advice (I know that some other helpers think different {which isn’t surprising in a forum ruled by Apple}).

The best format is Word Processing.

It give us the ability to do every tasks which may be done in Layout format plus many other ones.

To be short, a layout document is a Word Processing one deprieved of the main text layer.

To mimic it in Word processing mode, just insert several section breaks to create one page sections and never put text on the main text layer. Put every piece of text in text boxes.

As the Layout mode is rejected by Pages for iOS as well as by the export to epub tool, I assume that it will no longer be available in the next major upgrade.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 16 janvier 2012

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 12 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.2

My Box account is : http://www.box.com/s/00qnssoyeq2xvc22ra4k

My iDisk is : http://public.me.com/koenigyvan

Jan 16, 2012 4:37 PM in response to DD67

DD,

I will speak in defense of the Page Layout mode for a Newsletter. In WP mode, refraining from writing in the Text Layer is a pain and it's too easy to accidentally put content there and then wonder what is happening. Further, if you don't use WP mode's text layer, there is no advantage to the WP mode since the special features that apply only to the text layer are useless. Using PL when you don't really need WP is a great simplification.

Jerry

Jan 16, 2012 5:03 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Very interesting Yvan,

I hope that Layout mode does get dumped. It is very poorly implemented and barely gets mentioned in the Pages User Guide.

I would think it would be easy to simply include an option to turn off the text layer in WP mode to get the same effect.

What really needs fixing in Pages, is the accuracy of positioning objects, real master pages and the retention of created pages, even if they have no content, so you can set up a layout and then fill it.

The auto creation and contraction of pages in WP mode is, in my observation, the biggest confusion for users. "Where did my pages go, and why" is the understandable result of a really flawed decision by the programmers.

It creates a little convenience in some circumstances but an enormous amount of work to fix problems when it doesn't go according to plan, which it mostly doesn't. It was the first and most irritating problem I hit when I first started using Pages and lead me to this forum where I discovered I would have to work it out for myself, which I did with a lot of systematic experimentation.

No user should have to go through that just to get work done.

Peter

Jan 17, 2012 12:06 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter

I guess that you remember which is my best choice.

I would drop Pages and gather every features in Numbers which behave as a huge white page upon which we may put what we want were we want.

At this time, several features are flanged (not sure that it's the correct word for 'bridé') without any valid reason.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mardi 17 janvier 2012

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 12 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.2

My Box account is : http://www.box.com/s/00qnssoyeq2xvc22ra4k

My iDisk is : http://public.me.com/koenigyvan

Creating "sections" in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.