Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving photos from iphone to laptop.

I am wondering how to transfer photos from my iPhone 4 to my Dell laptop. I want to free up some space on the phone. I do not want to sync with iTunes to do it because I do not want all the photos from the lip top to be put onto the phone. How do I connect to the laptop without iTunes opening so that I can just transfer the photos off the phone into my library on the laptop? I am sure it is easy but I just can't figure it out! Thank you!

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 4:58 AM

7 replies

Apr 26, 2013 2:14 AM in response to stephenfrombeverly

You can easily transfer photos to or from your computer - it's actually the ONLY file accessible to the consumer unless you are jailbroken.

Plug in your iDevice to your computer with the USB, close iTunes if it launches, go into My Computer (on a PC), click on the iDevice as if it were a flash drive, open the visible folders until you get to DCIM - that's where your photos are stored. From there, you can add, delete and edit - including drag/drop to or from your computer.

Whatever you do in that folder is permanent - unless you are using Photostream, which will restore your photos and not allow you to delete. Until Photostream is edit-able, my recommendation is don't activate it.

For more information: Move photos from iPhone to computer

Dec 26, 2013 10:55 PM in response to stephenfrombeverly

User uploaded file

iTunes does not handle the import or transfer of photos from an iPhone or iOS device to computer. iTunes handles the transfer of photos from your computer to the iPhone or iOS device. Photos/videos in the iPhone's Camera Roll can be imported by your computer as with any other digital camera, you can use Vibosoft iPhone/ipad/ipod to computer transfer app, works!

Jun 29, 2016 1:03 AM in response to stephenfrombeverly

I know it's a question years ago, but I want to post something useful.

Now, the latest iTunes 12 is nice to use. And you can see this to learn how to transfer photos from iPhone to laptop.

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you really don't want to use iTunes, I will recommend you some 3rd party transfer tool which are useful and powerful on managing data between iPhone and laptop. Like Dr.Fone and FonePaw iPhone Data Recover which are popular at present. They can transfer files between iOS devices and computers(Windows and Mac). And you can find tutorials on their websites, avoid spam, you can google it.

moving photos from iphone to laptop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.