Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External microphone for Dragon Dictation app

Would external microphone help Dragon Dictation to recognize words better and from greater distance? What I'm thinking is smallest possible microphone that would offer better audio input. I would prefer if the mic was just something I could plugin into the device when needed. Any suggestions?

Btw it seems that even my iPhone microphone recognize words better than my iPad 2.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 8:27 AM

7 replies

Feb 22, 2012 9:34 AM in response to username7

Nuance support suggests iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 with PureAudio app 5 Dragon rating out of 6. Highly recommended.

iPhone 4 - 3GS with Andrea Pure Audio Live Recorder app

Date tested: 09/10 Version 11

iPhone models tested: 4 and 3GS (IOS 4.1)

Recommendations:

1. Recorder application

We recommend the Andrea Pure Audio Live Recorder app available for purchase and download from the Apple iTunes Store.

Benefits:

a) Allows the direct recording in DNS supported .wav format (no file conversion necessary)

b) Easy file transfer to PC via the Wi-Fi sync feature that quickly transfers audio files right to your computer.

Recommended Pure Audio app settings:

recording in 22KHz wav format

Pure Audio Noise cancellatioon filters MUST BE OFF

2. Device usage

Please hold the Iphone 3GS like a recorder directly in front of your mouth (this allows 5 Dragon performance)

When holding the device like a phone next to your ear, performance drops to 3 Dragons.

The IPhone 4 can be held either in front or on the side for 5 Dragon performance.

You can also use the included external Iphone headset/microphone for a 5 Dragon performance.

You can use other recorder apps with the iPhone, like the pre-installed Voice memo app, but you will then need to sync the iphone with the PC via the Itunes application on the PC and need to have other 3rd party conversion software to convert the files from .m4a to .mp3 or .wav format.

We do not recommend this, but it is possible.

We also do not recommend to email the recordings from the phone to your PC, although this may be possible, since many networks do not allow the file transfer of these large audio files.

WIFI trasfer:

1.Enable the option on the Andrea application on the Iphone - that will provide you the IP address for the phone.

2. Go to PC and launch a browser and provide the IP address. This connects you to the IPhone and allows the files to be transferred.

External microphone for Dragon Dictation app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.