Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't allow me to update from iOS 3.1.3 to iOS 4 on iPhone 3G

So I know that when it comes to an iPhone 3G, it is better to keep it at iOS 3.1.3 however I really want to update it to the latest iOS. Thing is, it won't allow me to. Everytime I would click on "update" it would end up saying that my iPhone isn't eligible for the requested field. Its quite annoying and I have no idea what to do anymore. I've tried restoring my phone and I've looked online EVERYWHERE but nothing comes up so I have decided to go on here and see if anyone can help me out. It would be greatly appreciated as I don't know what else to do.

iPhone 3G, iOS 3.1.3

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 11:01 AM

5 replies

Jan 16, 2012 12:32 PM in response to paulcb

Yeah I figured that out but the latest version of iTunes has been installed already and when I plugged in my 3G and clicked update, it wouldn't allow it.

I was told that it would be better to keep it as iOS 3.1.3 so I guess you're right when you say it isn't worth it. I guess now I just would like to know what is wrong with it in the first place.

Jan 16, 2012 1:01 PM in response to paulcb

I mean that after it would extrat the software, a message would pop up saying that it "couldn't be restored and the device wasn't eligible for the requested build." Those words exactly.

I wouldn't necessarily know if it has been modified. My other phone broke so I switched my SIM card to my cousin's old iPhone 3G - the one I am currently using. I am not sure if she modified it while she had it or not.

iTunes won't allow me to update from iOS 3.1.3 to iOS 4 on iPhone 3G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.