Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reimporting text messages from a previous backup

Ok, so I had to restore my iPhone 4 to factory settings today because things were going a little wonky. I was reticent to do it, though, as I didn't want to lose my text messages, so I did a little experimenting with moving the file "3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28" between backup folders on my previous system. It worked quite well; I was able to move the file of texts from my most recent backup to other backups from months ago and still have my texts from yesterday and stuff.

So this morning, my procedure was this:

1.) Backup iPhone
2.) Restore iPhone to factory settings

3.) Make another backup of the iPhone

4.) Replace the file 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28 in the new backup with the copy from step 1

5.) Restore from the latest backup.

Should work, right? But it didn't, and I can't figure out why. It says that the backup is incompatable with the iPhone whenever I try to restore it from the most recent modified backup.

Anyone have experience with this?

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 12:22 PM

If you updated the software in iOS, it may be the older file is from the older iOS and the new file is the newer iOS. If that is the case, then you cannot use a backup from two different OS. Also, as you may have found out, making alterations to the backup files can cause issues when you try and use them again.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2012 12:22 PM in response to Trey

If you updated the software in iOS, it may be the older file is from the older iOS and the new file is the newer iOS. If that is the case, then you cannot use a backup from two different OS. Also, as you may have found out, making alterations to the backup files can cause issues when you try and use them again.

Jan 16, 2012 12:36 PM in response to Trey

I have read of other users moving files in backup, as well as using 3rd-party software to extract information from backup files. However you may want to look at other forum sites for individuals that have moved SMS from one backup to another. I'm not so sure how successful this would be, since I believe iTunes codes the files as you noticed and it is possible if the numbers are out of sync, they would not work. Only guessing on some of this, since I have never tried it.

Jan 16, 2012 12:43 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Ugh, I didn't mean to mark that message "Correct." There's no way to unmark it?

The file name is identical from one backup to another. I can't really see anything other than the modification date that would clue iTunes in to the fact that it's older. And to test that, I went in and made a minor change to the file so that it would have a more recent modified date. no dice.

Jan 16, 2012 7:02 PM in response to Demo

Thanks Demo, that software actually uses the files in the backup to create .csv and other assorted files from the data in the backups. I was able to do that this morning, but what I'd really like is to have them back in their original format on the phone. Poking around there, I did find a couple of new avenues to try out, but they're basically just other ways to do exactly what I described above.

I've just tried using a text editor to copy and paste the text from file to file and had the same error... this is making me batty. It can't be this hard.

Jul 3, 2013 12:34 PM in response to Trey

Did you have any luck Trey?

I've been trying to do the same as my iPhone had an internal conflict that won't transfer and sync new contacts saved from messages so was advised to start afresh but wanted to keep my 3 years of messages!

It did the restore but didn't bring the texts across, even though that file was copied to the latest backup folder.

Cheers, Ed

Reimporting text messages from a previous backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.