Skip navigation

Reimporting text messages from a previous backup

1645 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2013 7:10 AM by Trey RSS
Trey Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 16, 2012 12:16 PM

Ok, so I had to restore my iPhone 4 to factory settings today because things were going a little wonky. I was reticent to do it, though, as I didn't want to lose my text messages, so I did a little experimenting with moving the file "3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28" between backup folders on my previous system. It worked quite well; I was able to move the file of texts from my most recent backup to other backups from months ago and still have my texts from yesterday and stuff.

So this morning, my procedure was this:

1.) Backup iPhone
2.) Restore iPhone to factory settings

3.) Make another backup of the iPhone

4.) Replace the file 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28 in the new backup with the copy from step 1

5.) Restore from the latest backup.

Should work, right? But it didn't, and I can't figure out why. It says that the backup is incompatable with the iPhone whenever I try to restore it from the most recent modified backup.

Anyone have experience with this?

• ChrisJ4203 Level 7 Level 7 (26,520 points)
    Jan 16, 2012 12:22 PM (in response to Trey)

If you updated the software in iOS, it may be the older file is from the older iOS and the new file is the newer iOS. If that is the case, then you cannot use a backup from two different OS. Also, as you may have found out, making alterations to the backup files can cause issues when you try and use them again.

• ChrisJ4203 Level 7 Level 7 (26,520 points)
    Jan 16, 2012 12:36 PM (in response to Trey)

I have read of other users moving files in backup, as well as using 3rd-party software to extract information from backup files. However you may want to look at other forum sites for individuals that have moved SMS from one backup to another. I'm not so sure how successful this would be, since I believe iTunes codes the files as you noticed and it is possible if the numbers are out of sync, they would not work. Only guessing on some of this, since I have never tried it.

• Demo Level 9 Level 9 (73,845 points)
    Jan 16, 2012 4:44 PM (in response to Trey)

I don't know if you have ever checked this out, but it just might work for you. I have never used it, but I've read about it and recommended it to another user who was actually able to extract the passcode to unlock his iPad without having to restore the device.

iPhone Extractor

• edpurves Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jul 3, 2013 12:34 PM (in response to Trey)

Did you have any luck Trey?

I've been trying to do the same as my iPhone had an internal conflict that won't transfer and sync new contacts saved from messages so was advised to start afresh but wanted to keep my 3 years of messages!

It did the restore but didn't bring the texts across, even though that file was copied to the latest backup folder.

Cheers, Ed

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.