Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone drained their car battery using an Ipod connected via USB?

I use an Alpine system (IDA-X305) to which I connect the Ipod Classic 80 GB. I leave it connected all the time. My question is whether this may drain the car battery since the Ipod continues to charge as long as it is connected (at least that's what I presume it does). Thankful if anyone has an answer to this!

iPod classic

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 12:20 PM

8 replies

Jan 17, 2012 4:17 AM in response to Tompe67

Actually, the iPod continues to charge only until the battery is fully charged. Then it stops. So you may find that when you turn the car's ignition off that the iPod is still being charged - but - after a short period, the charging stops. After leaving it alone for a while, check the iPod's screen before turning on the car's ignition. If the screen shows nothing at all, then I think you will find that charging has stopped, since the screen will continue to show dimly all the time that the iPod is being charged.

I speak from experience. When I first installed my iPod Classic into my Mazda, I too found that when I turned off the ignition, the Classic's screen continued to show the charging symbol. But after a short while, it stopped charging.

Even if your iPod does continue charging, it will stop when charging is complete and that is probably why mine stops charging. Since you leave your iPod connected all the time, my guess is that it will be fully charged after such a short time that you do not need to worry about your car battery going flat. Unless your car battrey is weak to begin with of course.

Jan 17, 2012 5:31 AM in response to the fiend

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'm a bit new to this forum and perhaps I did not describe my problem fully. In detail, I have purchased a brand new car battery and within less than 6 months it was drained. Borrowed another almost brand new car battery from my workshop and this time it took less than a month before the battery was drained again. This time it was winter, so perhaps the battery gets weaker by the cold..?

Anyhow, my conclusion is that something is draining the car battery rather quickly and the only thing I haven't had before is an Ipod connected to the car stereo. So, I'm not 100% sure that the Ipod doesn't continue to use some kind of power even if the Ipos battery is full...

Do you see my problem clearer..? //Thomas

Jan 17, 2012 5:22 PM in response to Tompe67

Hey Admin, sorry although this is not related to iPod issues, please don't ban me, others in the community please ignore this post.

There is no way the iPod can drain your car battery, it is like saying the Fed Reserves go bankrupt because you overspent at Kmart.

Car Battery maintenance

In your case, if you are using Lead Acid Car battery, check your battery water level weekly, make sure you top up the battery with distill water. (hopefully you are using Maintenance Free sealed battery.) You should also send your car to the workshop and have them check the Alternator, most likely the voltages and current are going bonkers and fried your battery. 6 month is too short, or they are selling you used batteries.

Have a nice day.

Jan 19, 2012 1:40 AM in response to Tompe67

I agree with Bilbo, the iPods is unlikely to be the cause of a drained car battery. The current it uses while being charged is very small compared to anything on your car.

So I suggest you check the car. If the alternator is not working correctly or if the interior light is left on etc.etc. those things will do your battrery in. You are correct though in thinking that a battery's performance is reduced by the cold, but for a new battery to be drained within six months - that's not the cold.

Jan 19, 2012 5:32 AM in response to the fiend

Thanks for helping! Just to explain my thinking abit further. USB-cables normally give 0.5 A output. The Ipod uses 5W according to it's marking on the back. The amp (A) or current is calculated from the formula: P=UxI which gives I=P/U in this case 5W/12V = 0.4167 amps. That fits the above 0.5 A from the USB. Now, a normal car battery is 75-90 Ah. Meaning that if the Ipod constantly would use 0.4167 amps (A) per hour it would get drained in 180-216 hours... (75/0.4167 or 90/0.4167).

I will leave the car to another workshop for checking other possible power sources, but of course none of the proposed in answers are existing.

//Thomas

Jan 19, 2012 6:46 PM in response to Tompe67

Even if your iPod drain 0.5A, (which is not likely, after 2 hours, it will be trickling charge), you are saying that your car battery, is not charged, when your engine is running, unless I'm mistaken, you are actually not driving but using your car as a sound studio. Note that according to 80G iPod Apple Spec, on standalone, the tiny iPod battery can play continous music for 36 hours.

One other cause of high battery drain is your Car Audio system., some is rated at 140W.

Have a nice day!

Jan 20, 2012 2:27 AM in response to Tompe67

Tompe67 wrote:

Thanks for helping! Just to explain my thinking abit further. USB-cables normally give 0.5 A output.

Actually, the device connected to it draws the current, subject to a maximum available from the source and what the cable can handle.

Tompe67 wrote:

I will leave the car to another workshop for checking other possible power sources, but of course none of the proposed in answers are existing.

What? Are you saying that neither mine nor Bilbo's answers are helpful? I do hope not!

It's very simple - it's not your iPod that's draining the car battery.

It could be:

• a faulty alternator that is no longer charging the battery
  • an interior light left on (for example in the boot of the car)
  • the car stereo (especially if it has a display that stays on while not in use.)
  • almost anything else in the car itself.

Of course, if you insist on believing that the iPod is the cause, despite what Bilbo and I have suggested, there is one thing you could try - don't leave the iPod plugged into the car when it's not in use.

Has anyone drained their car battery using an Ipod connected via USB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.