Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using geotagged pictures from Aperture

Hi all,

Interesting one. I'm geotagging my pictures using .gpx file generated by iphone app. Everything works great.

The problem is when I'm trying to use those pictures. If I drag picture out of Aperture to desktop, 3rd party application, web page - exported image does not contain geolocation data 😟. It's the same when browsing for pictures using Media Browser (from Safari, Chrome, or any other 3rd party app).

I managed to enable geolocation in pictures exported directly from Aperture to Flickr using build in functionality (switch in Preferences) as well as in pictures exported with File > Export. But if I would like to upload bunch of pictures anywhere else online, I would need to export them all first which sounds like really stupid thing to do.

Is there really no way so that Aparture preview files (which essentialy are being used my Media Browser as well ad drag-and-drop) included geolocation??

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 15", 2.2 GHz QC, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 1:45 PM

9 replies

Jan 16, 2012 2:18 PM in response to DanInDub

Is there really no way so that Aparture preview files (which essentialy are being used my Media Browser as well ad drag-and-drop) included geolocation??

I geocode all master image files before I import them into Aperture, and this way all the previews carry the geotags too. Maybe there is another work-araound, but I found none sofar.

Jan 17, 2012 5:55 AM in response to DanInDub

Ok think I found walkaround 🙂

After images are geotagged , I can force for Previews to be re-generated for the project (holding Alt in Photos > Generate Previews for Project), the new previews contain geodata and can be shared by drag-and-drop and Media Browser 🙂.

Interestingly, without Alt ("Update Previews") fails saying that pictures have not been changed.

Well that'll work for me for now anyway 🙂

Jan 17, 2012 6:27 AM in response to DanInDub

The Preview is a preview of how the Image looks, not what the file contains. You have found the best way (afaik) to force updating the metadata of the Preview files.

The Preview files should always be thought of as reduced versions (in user-control, quality, information, etc.) of those that you create via "File→Export". They are a quick way to get something usable, but they aren't designed to be substitutes for the real thing. Nicely enough, this is often all we need. You have presented one instance where they are not -- hence the extra step to make them suitable for your need.

Jan 17, 2012 6:36 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

I believe you're wrong.

Preview is also what Aperture let you "drag-and-drop" out of the application (when you drag and drop image from your aperture to the desktop let's say, you'll see it matches specification of "preview" in preferences rather than original image.). The same is what you're getting when browsing through images via Media Browser (to upload them to websites etc.).

it's a shame because that means that everytime I want to use picture outside of application, I need to export it to temporary location first, and delete after i'm done with it.

Jan 17, 2012 6:59 AM in response to DanInDub

Hi Dan,

I've been following this thread and I'm wondering if you can clarify what you're saying.

First you say:

After images are geotagged , I can force for Previews to be re-generated for the project (holding Alt in Photos > Generate Previews for Project), the new previews contain geodata and can be shared by drag-and-drop and Media Browser

And then you say:

I need to export it to temporary location first, and delete after i'm done with it.

So it sounds like your solution was to use previews, but then you export it instead.

I am also wondering (as I'm sure Kirby is) why you say Kirby is wrong, but then seemed to agree with him in your following statement.

nathan

Jan 17, 2012 7:11 AM in response to Mr Endo

In regards to my disagreement with Kirby - I see now that I misunderstood his reply, so appology for that.

You took my other replies however out of context, from two separate paragraphs.

WHat I am saying is that I managed to get Previews to do what I need them to do, but had to manualy force their update in order to include geotags (work-around), which is rather counter-intuitive since they are probably being used much more often than manual Exports.

Saying "I need to export it to temporary location..." I'm claryfiying what seems to be way Apple wants us to use pictures outside of the app, since only then automaticaly do they include all geotags.

Hope this clarifies.

Using geotagged pictures from Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.