Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alternatives to ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty sure my ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB graphics card has failed...

I run MacPro1,1 (2008) Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 2 x 23-inch DVI Apple Cinema Displays. Tonight only one of the screens would wake from sleep - the screen in port 2.

I've tried...

1. Swapping the DVI cables, this results in the non waking screen waking and the waking screen, not waking.

2. Tried running just one screen off DVI port 1 and nothing happened, blank screen but power light on.

3. Tried running same screen off DVI port 2 and still nothing happened, blank screen but power light on.

To re-cap - None of the DVI ports work on their own and only Port 2 works when both screens are plugged in.

So... is there any other tests or checks I can do to confirm 100% it's a faulty card? I've unplugged and done the SMC reset.

Secone part to this - if the card is shot can anyone recommend an upgrade to the ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB?

Thanks

Pete

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 2:07 PM

A good replacement is the ATI HD5770 that's available on the Apple Store.

BTW, if you have a Mac Pro 1,1 then it is a 2006 model. The 2008 models are Mac Pro 3,1.

8 replies

Jan 16, 2012 2:35 PM in response to Peter White2

You could use a Mini-DisplayPort to DVI adaptor on one of the ports, I would think. Otherwise, you don't have two many choices. You might look for a used ATI 4870, Mac Edition model. It's performance will be similar to the 5770 since the 2006 MP only has PCI-e 1.0 slots so the 5770 can't take advantage of it's capabilities if installed in a PCI-e 2.0 slot.

Other cards that will work include the older Nvidia 8800 GT for Mac. You must be sure with these other cards that you look for the ones that are compatible with a Mac Pro. These were the ones made specifically for Apple. Non-Apple cards will not work unless you have the hardware, ability, and knowledge to re-flash ROMs.

Alternatives to ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.