Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use time capsule as a router?

I would like to use my time capsule as a router for my wifi network at home.

I have hooked it up via Ethernet to the Comcast modem.

But no joy. Is there a specific Ethernet port to use?

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 2:57 PM

The Ethernet cable would connect from the Comcast modem to the WAN port (circle of dots icon) on the Time Capsule.

But, we need more info if you need more details on how to get things going.

What is the make and model number of the modem?

7 replies

Jan 16, 2012 3:22 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I did hook it up via the Ethernet cable that came with the modem to the WAN port. No joy. My modem was supplied by Comcast. It is a Motorola SurfBoard. No other info on it.

I just reestablished an Internet connection by hooking up the Comcast lynksys router again like I had it before. All works. I just can't figure out why I am not able to eliminate the lynksys and just use the time capsule.

Thank you for responding.

Jan 16, 2012 6:06 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you, Bob. I will try this tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. I did reboot the Comcast modem, but not for 30 minutes. More like 5.

I must admit, I'm not pleased with Comcast. I switched from AT&T a couple of months ago, and although my Internet speed is faster, I did not get PBS as promised. And the router is redundant.

Thanks for helping.

Jan 25, 2012 1:20 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Ok Bob,

I finally got to perform your recommended actions. With no success.

Would you tell me if the following steps are correct:

1. Power off modem

2. Do not power off Time Capsule, (or any devices/computers)but disconnect WAN cable from Modem to TC. TC will

Then blink orange.

3. Wait 30 minutes (minimum), then reconnect TC WAN cable to modem.

4. Power on modem.

I think I have tried several different steps so far. But am uncertain as

to the order.

Thanks so much for helping,

Jannie

Jan 25, 2012 1:53 PM in response to Janet Iversen

Power off every device on the entire network....power down order is not important

(I do not disconnect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the Time Capsule, but you can if you want. Connect it again before you power up the Time Capsule)

Wait 30 minutes

Start the modem first and let it run for 5 minutes by itself

Start the Time Capsule and let it run for a few minutes

Start each other device the same way, one at a time until the network is back up

If that does not do it, I am out of ideas...other than resetting the Time Capsule back to factory defaults and then reconfiguring it again.

Jan 25, 2012 2:59 PM in response to Bob Timmons

From what I gather comcast does not work in the way most cable companies do with the power cycle of the modem then allowing the new client to capture the IP. This results in needing to use. tricks.. spoof the old MAC address of the old router or computer.. but the TC has no provision for this.

Ring comcast and ask if they can reset your cable port.. making sure you have the TC connected when they do it.

If they will not help then there is nothing you can do but use some other router. TC will have to be bridged. Wait until you go away on holiday and can turn the cable modem off for a week or two. Then the current lease will expire and hopefully take out the old MAC address.

BTW, if your modem is phone type with a backup battery supply.. powering off will not actually power down the modem.. the battery also must be removed.

How to use time capsule as a router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.