Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting XDCam (from BPAV folders)

I've shot 28 hours of Sony XDCam EX. I've captured the raw files to a drive straight from the memory cards... BPAV folders.

Normally I do a Log and Transfer with FCP and simply convert the files in the BPAV folder to XDCam EX files.

This time round I'm getting an odd response:

WARNING

"BPAV" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

Mmmm? I wonder why I might be getting this? It could be that in the past I was doing my Log & Transfer straight from the memory card ... but I'm pretty sure I often did it straight from the already captured BPAV folder on the drive.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated...

Ben

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 7:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 10:31 PM

Are you copying the complete contents of the memory card - i.e. not just the video file?

x

26 replies

Jan 20, 2012 10:23 AM in response to Jim Cookman

Hi guys,

I figured it out. I was trying to do the transfer on my tower. In the past I'd always been on location and using the laptop to capture and transfer. The laptop has a version of the Sony XDCam Browser installed (properly) ... which also must have installed some kind of plug-in in Final Cut, that made it able to read and convert the files.

My tower didn't have that plug-in. But. I installed a new copy of Sony XDCam on the tower and, curiously enough, have been able to do the transfer from the BPAV folder to actual XDCam, but NOT in the way I'd been doing it in the laptop, using FCP as the transfer app. In this new setup I have to open the Sony XDCam Browser from WITHIN FCP, and then do an 'import to FCP'.

It works fine. One day I'll figure out why the process is different on the laptop and the tower. Maybe it's the version of XDCam Browser (the one on the tower is newer).

Thanks mucho for your help,

Ben

Jan 20, 2012 11:21 AM in response to Ben Low

yeah, they're not easy to find. I've had a number of calls from people over the last few years in a panic with xdcam problems and I had bookmarked these links.

For some reason or other (ask the ghost of SJ), I seem to be the only one authorized to create and edit user tips in this forum. Always welcome ideas for new ones and comments on existing ones.

Nov 21, 2013 5:25 AM in response to Ben Low

Hi,

can someone please post the file structure of their card!? I installed the plugin but in the import video I just see the folder structure and no preview of the files, I have to go to the *.MP4 file but that just shows up green.

The camera-guy copied the files to an SD card but just the folders that include the *MP4 files. I googled for XDCAM folder structure and found several hints but nothing really works here.

The files however show up in Sony's Content Browser so the files are ok.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

David

Nov 21, 2013 6:24 AM in response to F.AD.

I don't think that just recreating the folder structure will work (I'm guessing here cause I don't have a sample card at my disposal at the moment). Other folders besides the BPAV folder may contain metadata for the clips that fcp needs to use log and transfer. If you need me to confirm this, post back and I'll dig up a drive with some card backups (hopefully I've got one) and check.

Nov 21, 2013 9:03 AM in response to David Fürle

Hi David,

After I installed Michael's suggested plug-in I don't I ever had another problem. I've been capture/transfering BPAV / XDCam files for the last two years without ever a glitch.

Sounds like you might have a separte issue though. I do remember being caught without the right apps once and I think I 'batch' converted all the core BPAV .MP4 files using Compressor.

Sony has the XDCam Browser - which worked for me when I couldn't get FCP7 to do it.

And there is ClipWrap, which I've often used to put a wrapper on the .MP4 files to be able to play them or convert them. Yes, I think I've used ClipWrap often enough when I get stuck without all the required BPAV file structure. It will also convert the .MP4 to ProRes formats.

Best of luck, I've been there where you are ... a teeth grinder ...

Ben

Nov 21, 2013 10:12 AM in response to Ben Low

Hi Ben,

thanks for the tips! I'm 100% sure it is due to the file structure, because the files play fine in Sony's own browser.

I had the same issue with Canon XF files, they kind of have the same plugin and it only works when the file structure is 100% correct. I just have no XDCAM so I can't figure out what the original file structure looks like, since I also have also have all the metadata files etc. it should work fine, because als the data is there.

best regards,

David

Converting XDCam (from BPAV folders)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.