Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Lion freezes my MacBook Pro

Hello everyone,

I've got a 15' MacBook Pro since November 2010, it came with OS X Snow Leopard, and everything was fine with it. No bugs, no freezing, no problems... I could use it without having to restart the computer for months.

I made the upgrade to Lion in July 2011, and since that day, my MacBook Pro freezes randomly quite often. Sometimes it's when I'm checking my emails for example I click on "answer" and the MacBook Pro freezes, there is this multicolor whirl, I can't do anything. I've to shut down the Mac by holding the power button for a while. It doesn't happen only with mail, it happens randomly like I said. For example, when I'm watching a YouTube video or watching photos in iPhoto... even when I only use the finder to find a file.

To repair this problem, I tried everything :

- I made a clean install of Lion (I thought, maybe some Snow Leopard parts were the problem).

- I made a repair of the permissions, a repair of the disk, well, everything that could help the Mac to work better like PRAM reset, NTFC reset, etc

- I completely erased the disk, and I made a clean install of Lion.

I don't think it's an hardware problem, because everything was fine with Snow Leopard. If you know something I could do in order to have a Mac without bugs and freezing. And don't tell me to reinstall Snow Leopard, cause I really need iCloud. 😀

Thanks in advance 😉

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 7:28 AM

6 replies

Jan 18, 2012 3:01 PM in response to loïcfernandezcastrillon

OK everyone, I may have found the solution, with a very clean install, everything seems to work fine now.

What I did: I downloaded Lion to create a USB installer, then I launched it, in disc utility, I erased the disc, and also the empty space (about 2 hours).

With my hard drive all cleaned, I installed Lion using the USB key, (about 20min).

Since, I tried eveything, I opened all my programs, I used YouTube and every websites with Flash. I tried eveything that could make it freeze. Nothing, so I think that's the solution of many freezing problems.

And the Mac seems to be faster than before... So it's strange, cause I already did that before, except the Install from a USB key. Maybe it's that. 😉

Mar 18, 2014 8:48 PM in response to Beranadezhda

Me, too, my MacBook Pro (bought 3 1/2 years ago) freezes frequently, often without the swirling beachball. I can move the cursor around on the screen, but can't click on anything. Sometimes some or all of the icons at the bottom of my screen "grey out". Sometimes the video goes wonky, with the screen fracturing and small blocks repeating. Sometimes I can wait it out; other times I have to power off.

Anybody help?

OS X Lion freezes my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.