Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Project broken?

ok so, after solving one problem i have another, that sends me back to the old problem. i reset iMovie by deleting the iMovie8.plist file. but now when i open my project, the file goes completely crazy. heres a link to the last disscussion i had https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3656935?answerId=17304238022#17304238022. <-- when i click on the project it keeps going back to doing this, where it makes me unable to click any of the buttons on the screen, it will only let me right click. and the project that is displayed on the left upercorner where it shows you all the clips is blank or it sticks on the project library, but when i move my cursor over that area i can see all my clips pop up in the viewer (top right) anyone know whats going on?

im about to bring it in to the Genius bar.

im using Mac OS X Lion, and iMovie 08'. i've done as much as i can think of to get this undone but nothings working. and i would really not like to loose this project. i was thinking getting the new iMovie might solve it or even getting final cut and import the iMovie files into it would solve this problem. but really dont want to spend the money right now. even though i really want Final Cut.

i was thinking that maybe iMovie cant handel all the files in the video that im using but im not sure whats going on. all my other projects are working.

Thank you for your Help

15" MacBook Pro (Mid 2009)-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Intel Core Duo 3.06GHz 500GB@7200Rpm Hard Drive 4Gb Ram

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 10:52 AM

Quick Update:

Ok, so the problem is resolved. even after going to the Apple store and speaking with an Apple Genius for over 3 hours.

im going to keep working at finding a soloution. or if anyone has resolved this it would be great thank you.

i've used disk utility to repair permissions, just recently i rejected and deleted all the clips that i wasnt using to see if it was the size of the project and or if it would possibly fixed it, the only way around this is to delete the com.apple.imovie.plist and that restores imovie until i click the project again. The Apple Genuis tryed to make this happen to another project but we were unsuccessfull at recreating it. he reset ACL's and Permissions, with no effect, and went through and deleted caches and other plist files and it still didnt fix it. hope this helps anyone else with this problem. what frustrated him was that he could open the project file in finder and see all the files, and i had told him that i was able to export the video after deleting the plist. which meant that everything was working, but for some reson the project was locking up imovie still.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2012 10:52 AM in response to Pmlgoten

Quick Update:

Ok, so the problem is resolved. even after going to the Apple store and speaking with an Apple Genius for over 3 hours.

im going to keep working at finding a soloution. or if anyone has resolved this it would be great thank you.

i've used disk utility to repair permissions, just recently i rejected and deleted all the clips that i wasnt using to see if it was the size of the project and or if it would possibly fixed it, the only way around this is to delete the com.apple.imovie.plist and that restores imovie until i click the project again. The Apple Genuis tryed to make this happen to another project but we were unsuccessfull at recreating it. he reset ACL's and Permissions, with no effect, and went through and deleted caches and other plist files and it still didnt fix it. hope this helps anyone else with this problem. what frustrated him was that he could open the project file in finder and see all the files, and i had told him that i was able to export the video after deleting the plist. which meant that everything was working, but for some reson the project was locking up imovie still.

Project broken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.