Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update any software that requires a reboot.

When my old mbp broke down I migrated all my files using Time Machine. At first I had some issues with multiple accounts but since that was resolved everything has been running smoothly. Recently though, I discovered that when I tried to update Safari to 5.1.2, it appeared as if the installation went all right but when the system had rebooted the application was still on my software update list. On that list were also several firmware updates as well as minor updates for applications like iTunes. In fact, I could see that no automatic updates had gone through as planned since I bought my new computer last spring. The list was empty.

I tried to install all updates that didn't require a rebooting of the mbp and this went very well. However, when I tried to install the updates for firmware and Safari, my computer didn't even ask me for my password but skipped immediately to rebooting. When it fired up again, none of the updates had been installed but were still on the list for available updates.

Another thing that I've discovered while googling for a solution to my problem is that my disk permissions are corrupted in some way. I've tried to use Disk Utility to repair my disk permissions and it changes the permissions of about a dozen of files. Immediately after having been repaired though, if I run another verification scan, these same files will show up again as having the incorrect permissions.

Are these problems related? Does anyone know how to fix either of them? I'm thankful for any help at all.

edit: It might be helpful to know that I'm on a 13" mbp (early 2011) running OS X v. 10.6.8

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 8:28 AM

7 replies

Jan 17, 2012 8:43 AM in response to erikjonsson

Another thing that I've discovered while googling for a solution to my problem is that my disk permissions are corrupted in some way. I've tried to use Disk Utility to repair my disk permissions and it changes the permissions of about a dozen of files. Immediately after having been repaired though, if I run another verification scan, these same files will show up again as having the incorrect permissions.

Nothing to worry about. And no need to keep repairing Permissions. Once is enough.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448?viewlocale=en_US

For Software Update, try moving these files to the Trash (don't empty yet.)

In your home folder library

/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.******** *******.plist

/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate********* **************.plist

/Users/yourusername/Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate

Asterisks replace string of numbers or characters and numbers. Trash any others you find "By Host."

In the next level HD Library

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

This one will ask for your admin pword.

Jan 17, 2012 8:46 AM in response to erikjonsson

erikjonsson wrote:

This isn't a problem. As long as Repair Permissions reports that the "permisssions have been repaired" at the end of the report, you're good to go.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1448

AFA the updates, they may not be required on your new MBP but appear there because you migrated. Chances are that no firmware upgrade is required.

Jan 17, 2012 8:46 AM in response to erikjonsson

The permissions "problems" most likely aren't problems -

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

As for the updates, note down the name and version of the updates and go to Apple Support Downloads and download the .dmg files from there. Then try running each one manually. (double-click to open the .dmg, double-click the installer icon to start the installation).

Do one at a time.

Jan 17, 2012 12:25 PM in response to WZZZ

Thank you for all your help! It's greatly appreciated.

I have now updated most of my firmware manually. This has worked perfectly. I would still like to get my automatic software update up and running again though. Tried deleting all the .plist files that WZZZ listed without it having any effect. The application still identifies new updates and downloads the packages. I then get asked whether or not I'd like to restart my computer in order to install the updates. The computer reboots but no downloaded content gets installed. Sometimes a box appears, between logging out and osx shutting down, that says "Automatically rebooting the computer" or something like it.

Any ideas?

Jan 17, 2012 12:56 PM in response to erikjonsson

What are you seeing in Sys Pref>Software Update>Installed Software?

Try Disk Utility Verify Disk?

Some not definitive ideas in this thread about where downloaded but not installed updates are located.

http://superuser.com/questions/189062/location-of-software-updates-in-10-6

If worse comes to worse, this might require a reinstall -- not erase and install -- which will give you new system files while preserving everything else.

Jan 17, 2012 1:03 PM in response to WZZZ

The software I installed manually is listed correctly. What I've tried to install by using Software Update isn't there.

I tried to verify disk earlier today with no avail. Disk Utility tells me there's nothing wrong with the HD. I can continue to update things manually, it's just that it's feels like a complicated way of doing things when osx offers such a convenient way of always keeping the software up to date. I'll probably get on with the reinstall tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help, WZZZ! This has been a great first experience of the support forums.

Cheers!

Unable to update any software that requires a reboot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.