Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do you need a special external hard drive for iMac?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 10:38 AM

5 replies

Jan 17, 2012 10:49 AM in response to desertpete

To clarify. I want an external hard drive to hold photos as I have a lot of them.

Just still photos. I plan to put them in folders and take one folder out at a time to work on them in Photoshop Elements 10 on my iMac.'

I'm looking at a WD usb2 external "MY BOOK".

The thing I am concerned is: Should I get one already formated for the iMac or is one that says it comes ready for PC but can be formated for iMac, just as good?

Jan 17, 2012 10:55 AM in response to desertpete

Any external hard drive that will connect via Firewire 800, USB, or Thunderbolt will work.

I have a 750GB Western Digital Scorpio drive in an OWC case, sitting on a Backpack, which connects via Firewire. Western Digital Scorpio drives have 5 year warranties, the OWC (macsales.com) cases usually use the Oxford chipset which works well with macs, and the Backpack is a slick way to mount a backup drive without taking up desk space.

After you hook up whatever external drive you end up with, you'll partition and initialize it for OS X, then begin using it.

My opinion, I would not get a Western Digital pre-packaged external drive/case. While the hard drives are OK, there have been a number of people that have had issues with the electronics.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.