Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting a default font

How do you set a default font in Pages? 😕

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 11:26 AM

12 replies

Jan 17, 2012 11:29 AM in response to IvanOhio

Question asked and answered many times.

Create a document with the wanted font.

Then, empty it and save it as a custom template.

Create new documents from this template and they will default to the wanted font.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mardi 17 janvier 2012

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 12 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.2

My Box account is : http://www.box.com/s/00qnssoyeq2xvc22ra4k

My iDisk is : http://public.me.com/koenigyvan

Please :

Search for questions similar to your own

before submitting them to the community

Jan 17, 2012 7:08 PM in response to IvanOhio

More detail:

You need to create your own default template. Open the blank template & set up your document with the line spacing, margins, headers, etc. as you'd like. Redefine all of the paragraph & character styles to have your desired font. You can set default wrap for any object as well as many other settings. Insert a table, click in it & choose the font, size, color, etc. you want in the fonts panel or format bar. You can do similar changes to inserted objects & text boxes. While you're at it resize the box if you want, set the amount of extra space in the wrap inspector, etc. Delete each text box, object & table after you've set them.

Now, save this document as a template & select that template as default in preferences. If you decide to make any changes to the template down the road, just Save As Template again with the same name & replace the previous version. All of your new documents will have these settings for inserted objects, images & tables. Unfortunately, the settings won't apply to any other templates or "foreign" documents you open with Pages.

User uploaded file

Jan 18, 2012 1:14 AM in response to Barry

User uploaded file

Barry wrote:

Yvan writes:

"Question asked and answered many times."

True enough, but the More Like This list on this page (with Yvan's and Peggy's replies and Ivan's original and first reply present) reads:

Which is the English spelling fooling you ? 😉

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mercredi 18 janvier 2012

Jan 18, 2012 2:24 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

"Which is the English spelling fooling you ? 😉"

Neither, actually, Both are correct spellings. Check the name of the OP. 😉

And, yes, a search on default font will turn up many of the 'many times' the question has been answered.

But the new tweaks to ASC supposedly present a "More Like This" type of list on the page that the original question is composed (and before it's sent). Mys assumption (which may be incorrect) is that that list is similar in content to the More Like This list on this page, which, as I'm typing, still shows"

More Like This

No similar content found

Regards,

Barry

Jan 18, 2012 2:56 AM in response to Barry

(1) As far as I understood you were writing about me. There is no alternate spelling to my firstname.

Yvan is correct, Ivan isn’t !

(2) It appear that what I often described as a "dumb machine" may be less efficient than an human brain.

It's a good news, isn't it ?

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mercredi 18 janvier 2012

My Box account is : http://www.box.com/s/00qnssoyeq2xvc22ra4k

My iDisk is : http://public.me.com/koenigyvan

Aug 22, 2012 1:41 AM in response to IvanOhio

This was answered long ago but there may be another answer, depending on the intent of the question.

If the question is - how do I change the font for every document I create in the future? Templates are your answer.

If the question is - how do I change the font used in this particular document? Read on...

Within a document, then default font is defined by a style.

You can see the style currently in use in the styles drawer - from the menu, select View - Show Styles Drawer.

(Your text is probably style Body or Freeform unless you have selected another style already.)

By default the style will use Helvetica - Apple seems to have bought Helvetica shares when they were cheap and now it uses it for everthing. My 17" Macbook Pro looks like Helvetica wrought in aluminium.

However, I can tell by your hat that you are more a Comic Sans type of person, so select some text and change it to Comic Sans.

In the style drawer, the current style (e.g. Body) now has a small red triangle next to it (some would say it is upside down, but I say that triangularity is independent of orientation,)

Click this red triangle to see an action list - choose Redefine Style... This sets the default font for the style to Comic Sans for every paragraph.

There does not seem to be any inheritance across the styles, so you will need to set the font for each style that you use. However, once done, it will apply to all usages of the style in the document.

Setting a default font

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.