Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why I am unable to adjust the ringer volume by the side buttons and there is no ringer with the Mute button OFF

With the mute switch OFF - I am unable to adjust the ringer volume by the side buttons.

When someone calls/texts there is no sound coming from the speaker.

The headphone jack works when I listen to the Ipod and the speaker works when I change the ringer volume through settings. So i know that the speaker does work

Headphone jack seems clean and dust free

I heard that there may be a Skype issue than can control the speaker volume - so i deleted it but i still cannot get any sound from regular functions.

When I play the Ipod through the speaker with no headphones there is no option to change the volume and no sound.

If it works when i go through settings to set my ring volume, my ringtone plays - then why does it not work otherwise?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 11:54 AM

7 replies

Nov 20, 2017 9:47 AM in response to c4_est

I had the same problem I had an added problem of not receiving a number of calls, even with the phone in my hand.it would show up as a missed call. This was solved by going into settings check ‘Do Not disturb’ switch it off and the problem disappeared. The volume button started working, the reason why I missed a number of calls was because my mobile would accept calls only from my favorites and no one else while the ‘Do not disturb switch was on. Hope this is helpful to someone.

Dec 30, 2012 7:13 AM in response to mdelpozo

This is pretty much what I have going on as well. I don't think it's my mute switch. I can switch it on and off just fine. It responds with the crossed out bell and then back to the bell. Easy Peasy. When I use the side buttons though, it just shows the speaker icon with the word ringer. No volume indicating blocks underneath and still no ringer.

Nov 19, 2013 9:04 AM in response to KiltedTim

I have Iphone4s 16GB, IOS7.0.4 updates having a problem , that when i press + or - volume keys while my iphone is ringing my iphone 4s goes silent .

Whereas you know silent key is used to make the ringing phone silent. This button is working ok while only problem is my iphone goes silent while pressing + or - volume keys as these keys should increase / lower the ringing volume . These keys were ok working in IOS 6.

Where as these keys are also working ok in music player of iphone for IOS 7, the only problem is for ringing.

Why I am unable to adjust the ringer volume by the side buttons and there is no ringer with the Mute button OFF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.