Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Attempt to burn disc failed. The burn failed because of a medium write error.

When trying to burn a CD, I'm getting an error that reads:The Attempt to burn disc failed. The burn failed because of a medium write error. I experienced this message before and took my Macbook in to the store and the the genius was stumped but when he tried one of his CD's it burned fine to he concluded that the problem was in the CD's NOT the Macbook or program HOWEVER, months later, I'm having the same issue using the NEW CD's. Does anyone have any information about this?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 2:26 PM

35 replies

May 23, 2017 8:16 AM in response to meuwzic

Cleaned the drive, and that didn't work, because well my drive wasn't dirty. I checked and fixed my permissions, and restarted my mac. Luckily this worked, but I wish our Macs would tell you a more detailed explanation then "dirty write error". If the drive is dirty say dirty drive. If permissions have to be repaired, to burn, say repair permissions? How difficult is that?

Jan 18, 2012 8:10 AM in response to kostby

Yes, I have tried at many different speeds. I've tried to burn "less" songs. I've tried both Memorex CD-R, 52X 700MB, 80min-CD's and Sony CD-R Supremas 700MB CD's. The error seems to pop up in the "finishing" stage of the process. Again, I never had a problem burning CD's prior to the time this last fall and again now. Could it be an update problem with iTunes? Can I go backward to the lower version I had before?

Janet

Jan 22, 2012 11:09 PM in response to meuwzic

An optical drive may read/write CDs, but not DVDs, may r/w DVDs, but not DVD DLs, etc. etc. In order to have a clear opinion about its integrity, take some rw supports and burn, if CDs or DVDs regularly or mostly fail, then the drive is dying. The process may last months, perhaps a year or more, they never die all of a sudden. And, yes, the lasers are different for CDs and DVDs

Feb 23, 2012 6:15 PM in response to meuwzic

I found this fix on an Apple blog dated February 2008. I tried it and can now burn dvd's just fine.

"2 methods to fix this one is reset pram at boot up hold four keys down till you hear 3 chimes command(apple)+option+p+r

If you have pci slots you may need to do this also or instead of above this is to reset nvram at boot up hold command(apple)+option+o+f"

Feb 24, 2012 9:59 PM in response to meuwzic

3 methods to fix this:

The first is to reset pram

at boot up hold four keys down till you hear 3 chimes:

command(apple)=option+p+r

release keys and it will now reboot.

The second is to reset nvram

at boot up hold four keys down:

command(apple)+option+o+f

a black screen will appear

now type: reset-nvram

click enter

now type: reset-all

click enter

it will now reboot

The third is to open system preferences.

go to international

under languages: drag any of the other languages to the top, then drag english back to the top.

make sure "order for sorted lists" is set to english

make sure "word break" is set to english(united states, computer)

then restart.

I hope this helps you as it certainly did me. :^)

Nov 25, 2012 9:33 AM in response to meuwzic

ATTEMPT TO BURN FAILURE!!

I have had CDs kick out because of burn failure-I came upon a solution by accident-

I had tried different CD brands thinking that may be the problem-

What I discovered was the CDs that have worked for me are CD-R MUSIC CDs!!!!!!

All of the CD brands I tried have kicked out of comp failing to burn-so it is not

the brand that makes a difference-on the packaging it shows what can be burned

on the CDs-photos-data-music etc-here is what you have to look for-

CD-R MUSIC "HAS" TO BE PRINTED ON THE CD ITSELF-

they are hard to find but I have found them on SONY-MAXELL+MEMOREX!!!!!!!!

Just bought some Memorex at K-Mart!

REMEMBER THIS:

"CD-R MUSIC" HAS TO BE PRINTED DIRECTLY ON THE CD!!!!

SLCNAC JACK

The Attempt to burn disc failed. The burn failed because of a medium write error.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.