Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help With aGraphic Card

OK. Hi guys! here's the thing, i have a MBP late 2006 (Specs: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP13), who recently suffered of an Nvidia Graphic Card heart failure, so internal display or extrenal display it's not recognized you can read all the Drama here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3587108?answerId=17322061022#17322061022 and the issue that Nvidia card had is described here with the replacement guarantee info. (my computer is older than 4 years so it's not elegible for free replacement): http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

Well basically what i need to know is if there's a way to connect an external graphic card trough the ExpressCard/34 Port that will allow me to (add) more graphic memory so my internal display would work again and my computer can still being a portable computer if it's not posible what affordable external graphic cards do you know that can help me with this issue, the replacement of my motherboard it's about $700 so i was looking for something much cheaper than that.

Don't forget that any external or PCMCIA Express Card need to have it's own graphic processor otherwise it won't work.

Well Thanks again as always.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.4 GHZ Core2Duo 15.4" 160GB 2GRAM

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 2:40 PM

3 replies

Jan 17, 2012 2:46 PM in response to Ikaro Creta

Ikaro Creta wrote:

....is if there's a way to connect an external graphic card trough the ExpressCard/34 Port that will allow me to (add) more graphic memory so my internal display would work again and my computer can still being a portable computer...

Nope.

...what affordable external graphic cards do you know that can help me with this issue, the replacement of my motherboard it's about $700 so i was looking for something much cheaper than that.

None. It's soldered to the logicboard, why the whole thing needs to be replaced. 😟

Buy a new machine, all you can really do with laptops.

If you want a machine to fix with parts, a Windows 7 tower is the way to go now.

Jan 17, 2012 3:15 PM in response to ds store

Have you heard of Matrox systems, they go through FireWire and are not machine dependent, so if it's soldered or not doesn't matter i know the Nvidia Card it's soldered to the logic board and i know that if i want the computer to work like it used to, I should replace the mother board, but if i had the money for that I sure had the money for buying a newer machine. I'm not asking how to repair my Nvidia Chipset, im asking for ways to over run it and not make a total lost of my only computer. And i'm not switching to Windows ever

Jan 17, 2012 3:38 PM in response to Ikaro Creta

Your machine is toast, your broke and can't spend money for a $700 Logicboard or a $1000 bare bones Mac so your out of Apple's target $1000 and over market.

There is no solution to your problem, Apple has locked the logicboard and there is no user replaceable parts.

Buy a used Mac Mini online, cruise the neighborhood for a used monitor, keyboard and mouse.

You could do better if you could install Linux on a tired old Dell that XP has bloated itself off of that someone is tossing away as they are getting a new Windows 7 machine.

Some guy around me is doing that right now, taking these old PC's and installing Linux on it and selling them for $300 at the thrift store.

Heck, I've installed Linux on a couple of new HP Mini 110's myself, great little machines now, cost only $225 each. 🙂

Help With aGraphic Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.