Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security issue in Network preferences

I have snow Leopard using a Data stick from wind mobile. The data stick when installed want to install an interface called "mbbethernet". When I go into system preference->Network, a authentication screen appears which I cancel because I did not request any change or modifications. The mbbethernet interface then disappers from the network settings. When I look at my Interfae settings for the Wind mobile data stick I noticed instead of seeing huewei manufacture name I will see it change to Apple modem. My network settings are locked and this change managaes to occur from huewei to Apple modem.

My Network settings are locked and should only be changed when I enter my admin password, so eve though it is locked the change occurs, any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 2:59 PM

10 replies

Jan 30, 2012 10:39 PM in response to macfrombrampton

What the "modem+change.gif" pic shows is precisely nothing. All the options in Modem panel are dimmed (aka grayed out), meaning they are not available in the current state. IOW, no modem is selected.

Note that this is not (any longer) something peculiar to the Mac -- nowadays it is a common feature of GUIs. You need a refresher in Mac interface. See, for instance,

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2473>

(look for "If a menu item is dimmed")

Feb 10, 2012 7:18 PM in response to macfrombrampton

I have a screen shot of me opening the Newtork icon under the system preference. Note that the network preference is locked and I do not enter the admin password I only enter "cancel"

User uploaded file

I enter "cancel" and the folowwing appears.

User uploaded file

Then when I exmin the Wind mobile Interface it has changed to "apple" from huewai

User uploaded file

Why would the change occur without the admin password?

Security issue in Network preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.