Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore needed iphone cannot make or receive calls restore from itunes

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 12:15 AM

12 replies

Jan 19, 2012 11:08 PM in response to gdgmacguy

I did restore it as NEW but it didnt work

My iphone is 2G and this error message has appeared 3 month ago. I search for a solution but nothing helpful was achieved. I upgrade it to the latest version compatible with 2G. but I still have the error message. It should be for the BaseBand. As a suprising issue for me and my friends, iphone lifecycle was just 3 years and it is out of work now.

Jan 23, 2012 7:18 AM in response to w asem

I have exactly the same problem. My phone is only a few months old and it was fine yesterday. It ran out of charge and on being recharged the message appeared. I restored it as a new device and Itunes said that it was successfully unlocked (how did it get locked??). I can access the apps but no calls.

May 28, 2012 8:12 AM in response to w asem

I am using iPhone 4. Never saw this error until I replaced my phone thru AppleCare a few days ago. I restored backup onto the replacement phone. It was fine but next day (or 2 days later... Can't remember) I got this message, and the phone showed "no service". I turned off the phone and turned it back up again and the problem went away. Then two days later (today) I got the same error again! I turned iphone off and on again, and it was fine again. I wanted to get to the bottom of this so I called Apple. The tech support guy guessed "probably was something gone wrong in the restore".... Hello, dude, I was able to use the phone's any other functions and able to make or receive call before the error and after the re-boot!! If I only get a guessed answer, why do I have to waste my time on the phone with you?? He then suggested I try taking out the sim card and put it back in to see if the message comes back. Anyone tried this before?

Jul 19, 2012 12:13 PM in response to w asem

If your phone says it needs to restore, power off and turn it on again. Now, wait if one of these following problems happens:

1. It says you need to connect to itunes. However, even when you plug it in, itunes still cannot recognize your device.

2. Suddently it says you need to activate your phone. It takes you so long and nothing happens next.

3. The error pops up again and again everytime you turn off and on.

So here is how I fixed it.

1. Take your sim card out of your phone, put it aside or in another phone (you can make a phone call to check the signal)

2. Turn your phone off and on again until it says you need to activate your phone.

3. Just follow what it tells you: Set up wifi - Wait for activating. However, you won't be able to activate your phone at this time.

4. Turn it off and on again. While the Apple logo appears, insert your sim card into your phone quickly.

5. Wait until the phone turn on completely, it will tell you that you need to activate it.

6. Do what it says. So, after you set up the wifi and come to "Activate The Phone" step, it automatically says that your phone now is activated right away - don't have to wait 3 mins.

Try three times before you bring it to Apple. Hope this can help you and your phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.