Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Qns before I bite the bullet and import iphoto library into Aperture

Searching the forums it is very clear that getting the initial aperture library set-up correct is critical to avoid downstream issues. I downloaded Aperture as I want to bring together my Mac iphoto library of recent pictures (and really then stop using iphoto) and reference a large number of old (from before I owned a mac) photos on a NAS drive I have (without bringing the masters onto the MAC drive).

These are my qns:

- if I use the file > import > iPhoto library in Aperture and choose 'in the aperture library' option, I don't see an option to choose whether the photos are referenced, copied or moved. I want to copy the library, manage the masters completely in aperture and then subsequently delete the iphoto library (once I'm sure all is OK). Does this import option achieve this?

- I'd like to maintain the iPhoto events as Aperture Projects. Again does this file > import > iPhoto library option do this by default or does it pull everything into a single project? I'm assuming that my smart folders and faces / places / keyword metadata will all come across ok......

- Photostream: I'm using photostream in iPhoto and want to use it in Aperture. I'm guessing the best way of doing this is to disable Photostream in iPhoto before the import (all photos I want to keep are already in the iPhoto library), do the import and then enable Photostream in Aperture. Does this make sense?

Appreciate help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 12:11 AM

5 replies

Jan 18, 2012 12:59 AM in response to Jared Andrews

Heelo Jared,

- if I use the file > import > iPhoto library in Aperture and choose 'in the aperture library' option, I don't see an option to choose whether the photos are referenced, copied or moved.

You should see a selector in the File Chooser Dialogue that drops down, when you select " file > import > iPhoto library "; set the slector to "Store Files in the Aperture Library". That will result in a managed Aperture Library - see the screenshot below.

- I'd like to maintain the iPhoto events as Aperture Projects. Again does this file > import > iPhoto library option do this by default or does it pull everything into a single project?

Aperture will mirror your old Folders, Events (will be mapped to projects), album structure - as far as it possible.

'm assuming that my smart folders and faces / places / keyword metadata will all come across ok......

They should, yes. You will see some additional keywords: iPhoto Original, iPhoto edited. Images that have been edited in iPhoto will be imported twice: the original master and the edited version.

- Photostream:

Exactly as you say. You can only use the Photo Stream in either iPhoto or Aperture.

Make sure you have a working backup of your iPhoto Library, befoore you make the transition 🙂.

And also, before you start the transition, however, it would be good to get familiar with the organizational features that Aperture offers. You can do a lot more than in iPhoto, and you might reconsider your database design. Just in case you have not seen it, here is the Aperture Manual, one of the manuals that are really worth reading:

Aperture 3 User Manual: http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/

And Kirby Krieger's nice introduction to the Aperture Library design:

1. Kirby Krieger: Re: Organizing in Aperture, concise long version:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2654297?answerId=12616449022#12616449022

Regards

Léonie

User uploaded file

Jan 18, 2012 1:03 AM in response to léonie

reference a large number of old (from before I owned a mac) photos on a NAS drive I have (without bringing the masters onto the MAC drive).

Referencing master image files on a NAS drive should work, but keep your Aperture Library on a local volume, see this support article:

Aperture: Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3252

Qns before I bite the bullet and import iphoto library into Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.