Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing an external hard drive with a PC

Hello. I am still using a 2005 PPC iMac running Tiger. My photos are stored in Aperture and Lightroom 2, however they are all stored on my computer's hard drive. I want to remove them from my computer and store them on an external hard drive instead.

My flat mate has a Windows based PC laptop and also has stuff he wants to store on an external hard drive. We were thinking about going halves and getting a Western Digital 2TB hard drive and sharing it.

I understand that the hard drives can be shared for both formats using FAT32, although I am aware there are file size limits and data corruption is very possible, so I will be avoiding that. I have read that it can also be done using NTFS for a PC and downloading NTFS-3G for use with the Mac so both formats can read and write to the hard drive.

My question is this; how will this affect my Lightroom library? Is it even possible to store a Mac based Lightroom Library on an external hard drive that has PC files on it. Or is it safer to not bother sharing a hard drive and getting individual ones?

imac G5 iSight 20" not intel, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Canon 350D iPod Nano Aperture 1.5.6 Final Cut Express HD Photosh

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 4:41 AM

6 replies

Jan 18, 2012 4:43 AM in response to Fancy an Apple?

Fancy an Apple? wrote:

Hello. I am still using a 2005 PPC iMac running Tiger. My photos are stored in Aperture and Lightroom 2, however they are all stored on my computer's hard drive. I want to remove them from my computer and store them on an external hard drive instead.

My flat mate has a Windows based PC laptop and also has stuff he wants to store on an external hard drive. We were thinking about going halves and getting a Western Digital 2TB hard drive and sharing it.

I understand that the hard drives can be shared for both formats using FAT32, although I am aware there are file size limits and data corruption is very possible, so I will be avoiding that. I have read that it can also be done using NTFS for a PC and downloading NTFS-3G for use with the Mac so both formats can read and write to the hard drive.

My question is this; how will this affect my Lightroom library? Is it even possible to store a Mac based Lightroom Library on an external hard drive that has PC files on it. Or is it safer to not bother sharing a hard drive and getting individual ones?

If you are so concerned about data corruption that a 25 year old well tried file system is too risky, what makes you think that a relatively untried, free 3rd party addition is even going to be as safe?

Maybe you should rethink this.

Sharing an external hard drive with a PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.