Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Who's this group "other..." at login window

Hi, I have a new MBP with Lion 10.7.2 on it. I created several users, deleted some again, had trouble with the guest user that is now stuck, and so on ...

Anyway at this moment all turns well exept for the fact there's is now an unwanted group called "others..." at the login. It does not appear in the preferences panel among the other users so I can not delete it.

Anyone can help me how to disable this 'others ...' ?

And if someone knows how to fully restore the guest user after I messed up something in the library that would be a great extra (I tried to have it keep some custom settings like desktop and dock and finder after logout but now when I log in they are there but also my terminal keeps reapearing and the last webpage I visited 😟

THX

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 5:05 AM

9 replies

Jan 18, 2012 5:10 AM in response to Question-Droid

All Unix-based systems, of which Mac OS X is a derivative, have groups built in that you cannot change. The groups control access permissions to file systems and files.

There are groups such as those with admin permission, standard users, other, eaxh of which can havd read, write, execute permission granted for a file system, directory, file. You control who can do what with your files that way.

Jan 18, 2012 7:37 AM in response to Barney-15E

I checked and it seems I don't have the Root on.

How to disable the root user

OS X Lion

1. From the Apple menu choose System Preferences....
  2. From the View menu choose Users & Groups.
  3. Click on the lock and authenticate with an administrator account.
  4. Click Login Options....
  5. Click the "Edit..." or "Join..." button at the bottom right
  6. Click the "Open Directory Utility..." button.
  7. Click the lock in the Directory Utility window.

here it stops: my lock is open and what i see is

active directory

LDAPv3

NIS

instead of:

8. Choose Disable Root User from the Edit menu.

Who's this group "other..." at login window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.