Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing color in preview app!

Guys, another BIG bug. I say big, `cause lot of people here uses mac professionaly. It happened with my iphone too, some colors in a pdf file was`nt the real one that was developed (in a vetorial app). But the worse I saw is that the mac preview app was showing the correct colors, but when I printed it... simply I cannot say what color were those.. All of them wrong. I contacted the developer, he said it was ok there. So I tried one thing: adobe pdf reader... My surprise: everething was fine, color OK. Considering that it happens in iphone too, I can imagine it is an Apple issue, and not developer, or vetorial software one. (Becasue this developer, was using a mac! - ilustrator for vetorial design)!

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 1:17 PM

10 replies

Apr 21, 2012 12:20 PM in response to anbes

More strange problems. I donwlownded a PDF magazine. For my surprise: 3,5Mb and 56 pages of "blank" content!!! I tried to donwloaded that again... blank.. Then.. "light".... I lauched it using adobe... and... It was there!!! That`s very very strange...considering sometimes you need to use a PDF reader for important things!!! Apple? what`s going one?

Jun 13, 2012 10:53 AM in response to anbes

I notice similar problems to your original post when viewing files that use spot-color vector (I think that's what you meant 😉) images. In other words, Illustrator graphics that use Pantone colors.

I just think that Preview can't handle Pantone colors. At least on my end, they keep getting converted to black when I view PDFs that contain spot color elements.

Or, more specifically, maybe it's the newer Pantone+ colors. (Don't even get me started on them from a usability standpoint. If I had any hair left, I'd be tearing it out. 😝 )

At any rate, spot colors view just fine in Adobe Acrobat or Reader, so I'd say use those programs for your "important things" that are more color critical.

Or, you can contact your developer and have him convert the Pantone colors to process. Those display normally for me in Preview.

As far as the magazine PDF you downloaded, I'm not really sure there. That sounds sort of like what I experience when "previewing" filled PDF forms using Quick Look. In Preview, though, I can see the entered text. But the magazine shouldn't be 56 pages of filled forms, anyway, and you're using Preview, not Quick Look, per your post, soooo... I'm not really sure what's up there.

Message was edited by: Xiebinrui (removed a couple extra words leftover from a previous sentence edit)

Mar 27, 2013 10:36 AM in response to Ipcar

Simple. Just stop using spots!

This is a big old pain — it's a primary part of any print designer's workflow. Since Pantone's changed the color defitions to LAB (which I'm guessing they did for a good reason), it'd be awesome if my operating system could properly disply them — otherwise, I might as well trash the whole concept of preview in the Finder and start using Bridge (eek!).

Changing color in preview app!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.