Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An application copied from a MacOS 9 computer has a "unix executable file" icon and is not recognized as an application. How can I fix this?

An application copied from a MacOS 9 computer has a "unix executable file" icon when copied onto my Intel iMac running MacOS X 10.4.11 and is not being recognized as an application. How can I fix this so that it launches?

iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.4.1)

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 1:38 PM

6 replies

Jan 18, 2012 2:43 PM in response to Philip Caplan

It would really, really help if you identified the application and its version.

If it is a true OS9 application then it will be very difficult to get it to run on an Intel Mac. PPC Macs could run OS9 applications in Classic, but Classic is not possible with Intel Macs. You can look into Sheepshaver, but it takes a fair amount of doing to get it up and running, and it has limitations.

Some OS9 applications had code that bridged the OS9-OSX gap. Use System Profiler to look at the list of applications on your computer and it will identify the type.

An application copied from a MacOS 9 computer has a "unix executable file" icon and is not recognized as an application. How can I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.