Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switch my Apple ID to my MobileME @me.com email address from gmail

I spent the better part of 8 hours changing hundreds of logins, websites, and other information from my old google gmail address to my new @me.com email address. I was very excited switching over from a PC and a Google Android device to my new Mac and iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple TV. After my last upgrade to the iMac I decided to do away with my gmail account and go strictly with my @me.com account. I had been signed up on iTunes for a while now since actually having the iPod, iPhone, and iPad for some time. But as I said, I have just added the iMac and Apple TV, so I thought I was making a full transormation. BUT...after many hours on the appleid.com website trying to change my apple sign in ID and talking to an apple representative and finally chatting online with a MobileMe tech, I have found out that unless you have one of the original PAID MobileMe accounts that you can't use your @me.com email to sign up for iTunes. We are forced to sign up with a third party email provider, in my case it was google gmail. How ridiculous is it to sign into my iTunes account from apple, after creating an entire apple army of devices and creating an iCloud @me.com email, and then be forced to sign into my account on iTunes with a google email address. After all the time I spent switching everything over to the iCloud, then I find I still have to use my gmail address. Needless to say I wasn't happy to hear this. And why then did I switch over the @me.com email address? Because I was forced to for the iCloud functions. Yes, I am ranting but I think that Apple, if not already working on this, need to do away with this third party sign in and make it a one Apple ID does it all account. Do it like Google does You Tube and all of there other devices and software. Make someone have to create an @me.com address to use iTunes. This will help switch people over from google to apple, if only for the email to begin with because of iTunes. Anyway, please fix this.

BTW, I was told by an Apple customer rep that this is a common problem. The more people that rant and complain about this issue, the more Apple will realize what an issue it is and maybe they will do away with the multiple ID's and email addresses. Especially using a third party email to sign into an Apple product. I do realize there is a certain timeline in which things are created and how technology advances, but this can't be such a tough thing to fix.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2), iMac, iPad, iPhone, iPod, Apple TV

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 4:43 PM

2 replies

Jan 19, 2012 8:43 AM in response to NYCrooner

I'm sure that we're not alone on this issue. It just makes no sense why apple would do this. I suppose this is only due to the fact that iTunes has been out far longer than the newer iCloud implementation. Kind of like putting the cart before the horse. Now it seems as the apple has to work backwards to try and get its existing and potential customer base to start switching over to their unique email system. I wish they would hurry up for simplicity sake.

Switch my Apple ID to my MobileME @me.com email address from gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.