Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

History question

In Snow Leopard, for peace of mind about personal info when you need to have machine looked at and left, what files do you delete, The reset Safari does not remove all the files and they still have alot of the files with old site info in the folders. So wondered what reset actually does, because it doesn't delete them

I see the cache.db folder, but wondered what the 'webpage previews' one is in the same folder, and also all the files in Library/Safari. Can you delete any of them, or should you open the folder and empty rather than delete whole file, There are quite a few in the Safari folder in library as well as the Cache folder in Library, all for Safari, so what does it store and how do you play safe?

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 5:00 PM

7 replies

Jan 19, 2012 6:17 AM in response to the tall

First, do you have at least one backup on an external drive? Redundant backups even better. You can't proceed without this. This would be in the form of Time Machine, a bootable clone (made with cloning programs like Carbon Copy Cloner (my preferred), Super Duper or from Disk UItility>Restore.) If you have a backup, do you know that the backup is fully reliable and tested, and if a clone, able to be booted from?

Even if you weren't bring the machine in, you shouldn't be running without a backup.

Good instructions for erasing and zeroing are here

http://pondini.org/OSX/DU2.html

Carbon Copy Cloner

http://www.bombich.com/

Jan 19, 2012 7:20 AM in response to WZZZ

Thanks again Wzzz, I have a time machine back up, from nothing more than plugging in an external and then letting it do it's thing, but I have to tell you, I wouldn't have a clue how to use it if needed! 😊 And last one I did was couple of days ago. Does it really catch everything, even down to the emails and settings for the MacMail etc?

Thanks

History question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.