Skip navigation

finder folder size

3202 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2012 5:10 AM by BobHarris RSS
quatrieme Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 18, 2012 5:41 PM

the status bar at the bottom of the finder window shows the # of files and the free space avaiable on the harddrive. Is there a way to make the finder show the total size of the contents of a folder? either in the status bar while you are in a folder, or in the main pain when a list of folders are shown.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,140 points)
    Jan 18, 2012 6:18 PM (in response to quatrieme)

⌘I

• Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,140 points)
    Jan 18, 2012 7:40 PM (in response to quatrieme)

You can also use ⌥⌘I, and then while holding ⌘, click folders, or files to get sizes for multiple selections.

• BobHarris Level 6 Level 6 (12,535 points)
    Jan 19, 2012 5:10 AM (in response to quatrieme)

In Finder List View, you can have the Finder calculate the size of Folders, however, it is very disk (I/O) intensive

Finder -> View -> Show View Options -> Calculate all sizes

If you have a solid state drive, this might not be too expensive (in time and power), but on a rotating disk, it eats your battery power, makes your disk busy when you want it to do other things, and takes time.

Enabling it to maybe check for large folder trees can be useful, but for that I would just download and use OmniDiskSweeper (free)

<http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7402/omnidisksweeper>

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.