5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2012 10:39 AM by Tom Meade1
stjohnmccloskey Level 1 Level 1

WHY in god's name can I no longer sync between google and iCloud? I used to be able to sync between google and MobileMe. In the help article it gives no reason. I LOVE apple's operating system. It is by far the best operating system available. But for f*cks sake what is this? Are apple just being control freaks like they are with iOS and iTunes music? I hope that there is a legitimate excuse for this, because if not I'm going to switch to linux instead of the next update to OSX.

Mac OS X (10.7.2)
Solved by Roger Wilmut1 on Jan 20, 2012 9:07 AM Solved

stjohnmccloskey wrote:

So when I use the address book with iCloud, the data is no longer saved locally on my computer as it was with mobile me?

The data lives on the iCloud server. A cached version is kept on your Mac to speed up viewing and to allow you to access the data when offline.

I can't answer exactly why you can't sync Google with the iCloud calendar, even with the cached data, not being a programmer: but I'm afraid you can't.

Reply by Roger Wilmut1 on Jan 19, 2012 12:20 AM Helpful

Google syncs with data held under 'On My Mac'. iCloud data is held on the server and listed under 'iCloud'.

Google have not provided the programming on their service to access the iCloud data, so you can either keep data under 'On My Mac' and sync it with Google, or keep it under 'iCloud' and sync it with iCloud, but not both.

It's not a matter of Apple providing the facility to sync with Google: it's a matter of Google adding the programming to be able to sync with iCloud.

All replies

• Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.itunes
    iTunes

Google syncs with data held under 'On My Mac'. iCloud data is held on the server and listed under 'iCloud'.

Google have not provided the programming on their service to access the iCloud data, so you can either keep data under 'On My Mac' and sync it with Google, or keep it under 'iCloud' and sync it with iCloud, but not both.

It's not a matter of Apple providing the facility to sync with Google: it's a matter of Google adding the programming to be able to sync with iCloud.

• stjohnmccloskey Level 1 Level 1

Thank you

So when I use the address book with iCloud, the data is no longer saved locally on my computer as it was with mobile me?

Does that mean that I would not have offline access to my contacts? I'm not sure I completely understand why they can't both be synced with the locally saved data (assuming that there is locally saved data with iCloud?)

• Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.itunes
    iTunes

stjohnmccloskey wrote:

The data lives on the iCloud server. A cached version is kept on your Mac to speed up viewing and to allow you to access the data when offline.

I can't answer exactly why you can't sync Google with the iCloud calendar, even with the cached data, not being a programmer: but I'm afraid you can't.

• stjohnmccloskey Level 1 Level 1

Thanks, I appreciate your help. I suppose I'll not be using iCloud to it's fullest extent then :/ hopefullly google and apple will work this out because I'm a big fan of apple hardware and operating system, but when it comes to services, Google just has it down!

• Tom Meade1 Level 2 Level 2

You were obviously exasperated but there's no need to

invoke the Deity in order to get help in these forums.

All best, Tom