Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini Server OS 10.7.2 degrades, locks permissions, fails to boot

New current model Mac Mini Server 5,3 i7 Quad with OS X Lion 10.7.2. Twin drives formatted HFS-journaled, everything stock. Using primarily as a personal and imaging computer using Adobe CS5 apps, not as a server. Originally attempted to set up twin drives as RAID 0, reformatting, but system was unstable and I reformatted drives back to stock HFS-journaled configuration, then did a clean OS install from recovery partition. System ran OK except would not allow me to move items to trash, save screen snapshots, etc. as I did not have privileges (?). Run Disk Utility from recovery partition and repair permissions. No help. Did "Get Info" and changed HD privileges to read & write, all enclosed items, for everyone. Got series of "Missing KEXT" hundreds. Reboot and reinstall system. Repeats behavior. Do a reformat and clean install. System runs fine for several hours, seems stable, so I install Java Runtime, then Adobe CS5, Spyder 3 Elite 4 calibration, ICC profiles, Epson printer and scanner, VueScan, all proven, Lion-friendly apps. System now requires permissions to move or save items, then I get "Missing KEXT" and OS will not reboot.

Awaiting Apple service call where undoubtedly the tech will have me do another reformat and clean OS install over the course of several hours. Will tell me to disconnect everything and not use my apps. Will dick me around for another lost day and then get me further frustrated.

I have been using Macs since 1989 and am ready to throw this one out. FWIW my 2007 Dual MBP is running Lion, installed from the USB stick, just fine, knock on wood. But I could spit nails over this stupid Mini Server and the bone-headed way this OS installs and breaks on what should be a very straight-forward set-up!

How about it Apple, if the KEXT extensions are messed up, a fresh install should fix it. But it isn't. Even if there is some voodoo left, I pity the next poor user who gets trapped in this circle.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Mini Server

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 9:44 PM

2 replies

Jan 19, 2012 2:51 AM in response to petronio

Try booting into safe mode and see if the issues continue.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

this will disable all but a minimum of Apple components

at boot time. Therefor no attempt will be made to load

any kexts that are not Apple.

If booting is successful in this mode, it indicates that one

of your third party products is starting something at boot

time that is either calling or not providing a proper driver.

If things boot without issue, then remove items from the

StartupItems folder at the root /Library folder and also

in your user preferences remove disable any startup items

present there, then reboot normally. If all is well, then put

back startup items one at a time until the boot fails, then

you have found the culprit.

First need to get it to boot properly then can deal with

other issues.

As for the reliability of using the Mini Server as a workstation,

At this point I have been using one for about 4 months now

without issue. I think you may have a 3rd party item that

is causing an issue. It is also possible that even though,

as you claim, your apps are Lion freindly, they may have

a corrupt file in their installers or a previously unknown bug.

Jan 19, 2012 8:03 AM in response to woodmeister50

So far things are running OK after I booted in Recovery Mode and used Terminal to "resetpassword" which took me to a screen to restore default permissions. Kind of silly that anyone should have to use Terminal to get a workable computer at this point but knock on wood, I think this did the trick with less pain than some of the other suggestions I've read. Thanks

I'm waiting to see if anything goes wrong before I announce it done.

Mini Server OS 10.7.2 degrades, locks permissions, fails to boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.