Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an old powerPC G4. dual 867 512 MB. my optical drive is having trouble reading my leopard installer. I was going to try to use remote install but i don't have a network where I can connect both the mac and the windows laptop. any suggestions?

I'm just trying to revive my old PowerPC G4/ dual 867MHz 512MB. Unfortunately I am unable to install from disc since my optical drive, although still working, is somehow not able to read the leopard installer. I wanted to try the remote install option but have limited resources and don't have a network where I can have both the Mac desktop and windows laptop communicate. I read somewhere that I can use a crossover cable to connect the two directly. I'm still trying to see if I can get an external DVD-ROM as another option. Any suggestions?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 11:35 PM

3 replies

Jan 19, 2012 6:18 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua, your second link is the same as your first one about crossover cables.

arnold24, if you have access to a second Mac that can enter Target Disk Mode you can borrow its optical drive to install.

Running Leopard with 512 MB RAM is really pushing it. I know Apple says it is okay, but when it comes to running OSX they really, really do mean "minimum".

I have an old powerPC G4. dual 867 512 MB. my optical drive is having trouble reading my leopard installer. I was going to try to use remote install but i don't have a network where I can connect both the mac and the windows laptop. any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.