Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Would like to add USB to WallStreet G3

Looking through posts on this subject, I see that something like a PCMCIA usb card would allow my WallStreet G3 to have USB capability (I think)

I'm trying to upgrade this laptop to give to a friend who needs one - at least until she can afford something better.

This model is only 233 Mhz. and I am looking at upgrading it's 32 MB of RAM to 512MB - which should make it a bit more responsive....I assume.

Also, OS 9.2.1 is all that's installed, but I will install Office 98, as she needs to use wordprocessing and spreadsheet. A USB port should allow her to use a printer - and maybe other peripherals like a flash drive....right?

So, please, any particular PCMCIA card I should look for? I'm assuming it fits into the slot on the left side above the battery..

Advice appreciated,

Thanks, K.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 11:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 6:01 AM

I maintain three G3 Wallstreets for a friend, and he's used a two-port USB card as you describe for years. One port services his HP printer and the other his old ZIP 250 external backup drive and everything works quite well. Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand, and can't find out until next Tuesday (I'm traveling).

I don't think brand/model is a big issue with the cards. Sometimes finding one today is a problem as all new computers have USB. Here is one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/IOGear/GPU202/

IOGear is a well-known brand with traditionally excellent Mac support. Note the comment that it may require a powered hub to work with some devices. Those are cheap and a worthwhile investment.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2012 6:01 AM in response to keithgvp

I maintain three G3 Wallstreets for a friend, and he's used a two-port USB card as you describe for years. One port services his HP printer and the other his old ZIP 250 external backup drive and everything works quite well. Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand, and can't find out until next Tuesday (I'm traveling).

I don't think brand/model is a big issue with the cards. Sometimes finding one today is a problem as all new computers have USB. Here is one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/IOGear/GPU202/

IOGear is a well-known brand with traditionally excellent Mac support. Note the comment that it may require a powered hub to work with some devices. Those are cheap and a worthwhile investment.

Would like to add USB to WallStreet G3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.