Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M4A not AAC as stated

Hi,

I have not personally tried to play any of my matched, deleted and re-downloaded music files yet, but I can tell you that - to my surprise

all the music I have re-download from the Match service (after matching) is NOT in AAC format (as stated by Apple) but is M4A.

Not very happy about that! However I can't find ANY reference on the web to the M4A iTunes Match format - everyone says it's AAC.

Can anyone here confirm this is not just happenning with my account?

I'm in the UK BTW.

Also on another note - no matter what I try I cannot get any of my iOS devices to see ANY playlist other than the standart 'most played' etc.

Anyone else have that problem too?

Thanks in advance all 🙂

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 5.0.1, @lightsurgery - is my Twitter

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 5:52 AM

M4A is the wrapper. Songs 'matched' by the service will be downloaded as 256 kbps AAC - this can be seen via 'get info' for the Song in question.

5 replies

Jan 19, 2012 5:59 AM in response to ju5t

Hi ju5t

I am also in the UK, and can confirm that the m4a files are in AAC format.

You can check this by clicking on a downloaded track and selecting Get Info

The Kind is showing Matched AAC audio file, and Bit Rate is showing 256 Kbhs.

I have downloaded a few songs, and the sound difference is noticable.

Hope this helps,

edul

Jan 19, 2012 6:02 AM in response to mracole

Thanks for reply 🙂

mracole wrote:

M4A is the wrapper. Songs 'matched' by the service will be downloaded as 256 kbps AAC - this can be seen via 'get info' for the Song in question.

When you say "M4A" is the wrapper - in essence do you mean I could manually change it to AAC and it would still work without conversion?

FYI here is what I see when I 'get info':User uploaded file

Cheers for the help 🙂

M4A not AAC as stated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.