PROBLEM SOLVED (for my iPad)
I installed iOS 5 on my iPad 1 when it came out in October 2011. Everything worked fine. Sometimes around the beginning of January, apps began to crash. First it was a few a week, but by the eginning of February, most of them would crash after running for a few minutes. Many would not restart untill I did a full reboot. My iPad became essentially useless.
After fighting this problem for almost two weeks, reading as many forums as possible, I did many things that DID NOT solve the problem. Here they are in the order I tried them.
- Removed all working programs and rebooting the iPad - no effect
- Removed over 50 apps (from 200) that I was not really using - no effect
- Restored network setting via setttings - no effect
- Restored all settings via settings. This re-installed everything via iCloud - no effect
- Connected my iPad to my computer and did a restore and used a previous backup - no effect
Then, I remembered that other people were having problem with iCloud and that I had added services to iCloud around the beginning of the year. So I
- Went into settings >> iCloud and disabled every iCloud service except the Find my iPad service. I rebooted my iPad and I have been crash free for three days.
So the problem IS iCloud.
Apple knows that there are other problems with iCloud and plans to fix it in the next release 5.0.2. In the meantime, try my solution and report to this forum if it works for you too.