Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I print iMessage conversations

One of my iPhone users has an iMessage conversation she needs to capture to use as evidence in a legal matter. What's the best app or method of getting the conversation into a printed form or PDF-type digital format? She uses a PC, so Phoneview isn't an option. I'd love to find a PC-compatible alternative that looks like Phoneview, I just can't seem to find it. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rusty

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2017 3:19 AM

You can try taking the screenshots of your iMessages conversations. I agree, without the date & time stamps and speaker information your text conversations wouldn't help much in a legal matter. Remember you might also need to testify that you received these messages on that particular date and they are accurate depiction of what you recived, and for this you might need an affidavit.

A few months back, I needed to print my iPhone text messages/imessages to use them as evidence in a legal suit and a third party app recommended in this guide did the job for me. You can use this app to export your text messages and iMessages to your computer as PDF and then easily print them off. Text messages will be saved with all the vital information such as date stamps, time stamps and speaker information such as contact name and phone number. Similar to other tools this is also a shareware program. You might also find this Apple Stack Exchange discussion about printing iPhone text messages for court useful.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2017 3:19 AM in response to sophia_camp

You can try taking the screenshots of your iMessages conversations. I agree, without the date & time stamps and speaker information your text conversations wouldn't help much in a legal matter. Remember you might also need to testify that you received these messages on that particular date and they are accurate depiction of what you recived, and for this you might need an affidavit.

A few months back, I needed to print my iPhone text messages/imessages to use them as evidence in a legal suit and a third party app recommended in this guide did the job for me. You can use this app to export your text messages and iMessages to your computer as PDF and then easily print them off. Text messages will be saved with all the vital information such as date stamps, time stamps and speaker information such as contact name and phone number. Similar to other tools this is also a shareware program. You might also find this Apple Stack Exchange discussion about printing iPhone text messages for court useful.

Jan 19, 2012 8:31 AM in response to deggie

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using the trial of Touchcopy now. I don't see any of my iMessage conversations, only SMS. According to the website, the trial only restricts how many songs you can copy and 15 days of usage, so I don't think it's a limitation. The features do not list iMessage specifically but do specify SMS texts. Thinking I need to keep looking.

I appreciate the feedback, however.

Rusty

Feb 27, 2013 10:32 AM in response to Rusty ITMgr

Ok here is a workaround that might help. I don't know if it will be useful in legal matters but here is how I did it and it was free.

1. go to the top of the imessage you want to print and make sure the entire part of the conversation is viewable (press previous comments until you see the beginning of the part you want).

2. click edit

3. check the button beside each item in the conversation

4. when the entire part you want has been selected then press forward !!!MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HIT DELETE!!!

5. send it to yourself (what I did) or someone else

6. it comes in one long broken paragraph sort of thing so press it until the copy button appears

7. press copy and go to notes

8. press paste in a new note and send it to yourself as an email.

9. print, PDF, archive, whatever

I hope that helps. It looks more complicated than it is but I wanted to make sure anyone could follow the steps.

May 20, 2016 9:53 AM in response to Rusty ITMgr

First you need imessages linked on a mac.

then....

"On the Mac you need to scroll to the top of where you want to save or print from.

Then go to Messages – File – Print…

The on the pop up, bottom left where it says PDF, select Save as PDF

Make changes to file name / location and then save.

You then have a PDF copy of your whole iMessage conversation."

http://geekfairy.co.uk/saving-printing-imessage-conversation-on-a-mac/

How can I print iMessage conversations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.