Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm new to Final Cut Pro X and I can't figure out how to fade to black?

I'm new to Final Cut Pro X and I'm trying to firgure out how to fade to black. How do I do it?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 10:27 AM

Use "Fade to color" transition

14 replies

Jan 19, 2012 1:51 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

An alternative way is to select the clip in the timeline, then press Ctrl+V to show Video Animation.

At the bottom of the list of options is Compositing: Opacity.

Click the dark rectangle on the right of this option and it opens up to show a black opacity bar immediately beneath the text. Mouse over the ends of this bar and some little handles appear at each end of the clip. You can grab these and adjust your fade precisely.

Sounds more complex than it is - when you get used to it.

I find it more flexible than adding preset transitions (which you inevitably need to adjust anyway).

Andy

Apr 6, 2015 3:05 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

This was a great conversation for me, Mr. Wolsky (almost exactly a year later) but I'd appreciate a step-by-step explanation

of an alternative to the control-v approach to fade-to-black - which worked well for me.

When I try to simply insert a Fade To Color transition between clips, FCP won't let me grab and widen it. I get red parentheses around the transition clip. I can't find anywhere in the Transition window how to expand the duration. Does the process involve using both a Cross Dissolve and a Fade To Color? Is Fade To Color a sub-option in Cross Dissolve? Can't figure this out.

Also, how can I drag a clip away to create an "empty space" and circumvent the snap setting.

Apr 6, 2015 3:38 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you for Opt-W!

"You have to shorten one or both shots to lengthen the space to overlap the shots during the transition."

This is what my question about transition vs fade was getting at. In iMovie 6 (sorry) these were separate, distinct functions that could be inserted. Thus a fade had nothing to do with a clip that followed it and duration could be easily set. As I said before, "I can't find anywhere in the Transition window how to expand the duration."

Further, I understood that in iMovie 6 if a clip were too short, a transition such as cross-dissolve wouldn't work. But here, you say a "shot" needs to be shorter, not longer.

Sorry if this is tiresome: I'm also a beginner, one who's finally managed to relinquish the simple joys of iMovieHD and get past all the dumbed-down iMovie alternatives.

Apr 6, 2015 4:05 PM in response to saxyjazzman

I don't know what iMovie 6 function you're referring to, but I can't think there is anything like that in FCP unless the clip is connected and has nothing adjacent to it.

If a clip is simply too short for a transition, the transition will not be made. If the adjacent clips are don't have available media in the timeline for the transition, a warning will appear that the clips will be shortened, that is, the clips in the timeline will be reduced in length so that there is sufficient media for the overlapping portion of the transition. This will shorten the project duration. If you are reaching the red brackets you have reached the limit of the media. There are tabs on each end of the bar at the top of every transition that allow you to ripple the shots to create more space for a longer overlap. This will effectively shorten the duration of the shot after the transition is completed.

I'm new to Final Cut Pro X and I can't figure out how to fade to black?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.