Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I reinstall OS9 on Graphite iMac DV SE 400?

Hello All

I have an iMac DV Special Edition 400Mhz PowerPC G3 (Graphite) with upgraded 640MB RAM from 2000. It shipped with OS9. I later installed OSX (10.2.8) around 2003 etc.

I had both OS9 and OSX all running perfectly. However, because my HD became full over the years with various software packages and versions affecting performance, I erased the entire HD and formatted it (Extended/HFS+ with OS9 drivers) to do a clean install of both OS9 and OSX. (Now before the criticism starts flooding in, yes, I know now that this was stupid and wreckless.)

Now I can only install OSX. The iMac does not recognise the original (orange cds)software restore or install discs that came with the machine. I even have the OS9.2 update disc (orange '9' on white cd) and the iMac does not recognise that either. I have repeatedly erased and formatted the HD to install OS9 in various ways but so far no luck.

Now before some of you start saying I should invest in new equipment, this is not my only mac, I also have a 2010 Macbook Pro. But I need to install OS9 on my iMac as well because I have some software packages that only run on OS9 eg SoundEdit 16.

So, is there a way to restore the original iMac software or set the machine back to factory default? You would think Apple would have covered this situation with a simple straight forward way to fix this. And I'm not the only one facing this problem as can be seen from postings on various forums. I am not familiar with Xtools or whatever it is called but I read somewhere there are 'packages' that restore the original factory settings. I also have the OSX Developer Tools cd that came with OSX. Is there any way I can use this perhaps to install OS9? Or is there is another way to install OS9?

Please help me. Any and all advice appreciated. Thank you.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.2.x) , Graphite iMac DV SE (400)

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 10:24 AM

21 replies

Jan 19, 2012 11:23 AM in response to 3DMonkey

However, because my HD became full over the years with various software packages and versions affecting performance, I erased the entire HD and formatted it (Extended/HFS+ with OS9 drivers) to do a clean install of both OS9 and OSX.

Why? You could have just deleted the applications that were causing the hard drive to become cluttered. But even if you didn't do that, you should always have a bootable backup of your entire system, just in case the worst thing possible happens (and you know it will, at the worst possible time).

In any case, you should refer to this Apple Support document: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1585

Jan 19, 2012 11:52 AM in response to 3DMonkey

Your iMac DV SE 400MHz model originally came with a model-specific version of OS 9.0.4.

Some users have reported that after updating the firmware on their older Macs, the original install disk for OS 9 did not work. This apparently applies to machines whose original OS was OS 9.0.4 or earlier. The firmware update was to prep the machine for the installation of OS X.

If your CD for OS 9.2 is marked as an "Update" disk, it is not bootable even though it may have a gold 9 on white backgraound.

You will probably need to use a retail OS 9.1 or 9.2.1 Install CD; these have the gold 9 and white background, and do not mention "Update" nor any machine model on the label.

Jan 19, 2012 1:44 PM in response to 3DMonkey

Is running OS 9 apps in classic mode while booted into OS X an option? If so, copy the System Folder from another Mac that has OS 9.1 (or better with 9.2.1 or 9.2.2) installed. A USB thumb dive works great for this. Transfer the folder to your Mac. It won't interfere with your OS X system which is in a folder titled System.

Cheers, Tom 😉

Jan 19, 2012 2:46 PM in response to Don Archibald

Thanks Don.

The Mac OS9 cd (white cd) I have is actually for version 9.1 and does not say update on it.

I have tried to boot my machine from this cd too but it doesn't want to know.

However, in OSX, when I have the cd in the machine, it allows Classic to be launched from the cd

but it does not allow me to install it.

I also tried with a retail version of OS9.0.4 but the result is the same.

How about if I dragged and copied the files on to the HD from the cds as Texas Man partly suggested?

Could anyone advise me specifically step by step what files and where to drag them if this is viable?

Thanks.

Jan 19, 2012 3:30 PM in response to 3DMonkey

Didn't these machine come with restore disks?. They were a separate set. I have 4 for my iMac G3 600. Try installing them.

Try copying the System Folder to the root of your harddrive. Ex: Macintash HD

User uploaded file

I believe System Folder is what is booted when cd boots. Copying will not do a comlee install something will be msissing. Don't know details. Should be enough to run classic apps if they run when you have the cd in the drive. Might try upgrading your classic. Maybe updates will fix. Apply Mac OS 9 updates.

Robert

Feb 7, 2012 5:33 AM in response to 3DMonkey

Update:

Here's some good news. I've been able to see the OS9 CD icon on the screen after booting up with 'alt' held down when I attach an external CD drive via USB. However, my mouse and keyboard are unable to control the cursor or swap between icons and the onscreen arrows. The only key that works is 'Enter' which automatically leads to a reboot in OSX which is the only icon hightlighted on screen. So... it goes on... but I feel I'm making progress, albeit slowly.

Feb 7, 2012 6:04 AM in response to 3DMonkey

I do not believe it is possible to boot a DV SE from an external USB-connected drive, but have you tried all other keys to select the boot volume? Likely candidates would be the first letter of the volume name, the Tab key... etc.

On the other hand I am certain you can boot the DV SE from an external Firewire drive. Get your hands on one of them and you might be all set.

It should boot from the internal CD/DVD-ROM drive if you hold the c key while it boots, though that ability might have been lost if the original optical drive was replaced.

Don Archibald wrote:

Some users have reported that after updating the firmware on their older Macs, the original install disk for OS 9 did not work.

I vaguely recall this and I believe it is correct. I am fairly certain it is impossible to downgrade the firmware. But it ought to be possible to boot into OS 9, since I did that on occasion. This was after upgrading the original HD to a much bigger one.

3DMonkey I have this identical model iMac with all its original CDs in storage. I may also have an OS 9 retail install CD, but am not certain of that. I could investigate this further, but it might be a while 🙂

Feb 8, 2012 10:43 AM in response to 3DMonkey

RC, as I mentioned already, the keyboard and mouse is disabled after an 'alt' boot up.

Odd. Keyboard & mouse work for me with 'alt'.

You have wired usb mouse & keyboard? Original apple keyboard? Generic mouse works for me need to be connected directly to mac. No hub.

Could there be a poweron password? I think you would have to enter a password everytime. Could try remoing the battery for an hour or overnight.

Robert

How can I reinstall OS9 on Graphite iMac DV SE 400?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.