Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Emac has started freezing and screen image breaks up; all I can do is turn power off but then fault happens again - is this the end?

a message advised the following "Your computers clock is set to a date before March 24th 2001. This may cause some applications to behave erratically." since the message showed computer has been having problems - any ideas?

eMac-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 10:46 AM

4 replies

Jan 19, 2012 11:37 AM in response to Arghvin

That usually indicates the internal backup battery (sometimes called the "PRAM" battery) has died. They are normlly good for 3-4 years if the computer is not constantly unplugged. However, if the computer gets unplugged every night, or has been in storage, the battery can die fast. In addition to forgetting the date, other symptoms can appear depending on the Mac model.

The battery is, fortunately, user-replaceable and inexpensive. Apple provides instructions here:

How to Replace the Backup Battery

This is the proper battery:

3.6v Newer Technology Lithium 1/2 AA PRAM Computer Clock Battery

Consider ordering the battery online; it is 3-4x cheaper than buying from a retail store. However, if money is no object and you want the battery today, Radio Shack (Tandy) carries them as stock number 23-026.

Jan 22, 2012 6:28 AM in response to Arghvin

OK, I wanted you to try the easy fix first. There may be a much more ominous problem at play.

Without posting your serial number, see if it falls within these ranges:

• G8412xxxxxx- G8520xxxxxx
  • YM412xxxxxx - YM520xxxxxx
  • VM440xxxxxx - VM516xxxxxx

A large number of eMacs with USB 2.0 and 1.25Ghz processors (and a few non-cataloged 1.0Ghz units) have a near-fatal logic board flaw that can produce symptoms similar to yours. There was once an Apple Repair Extension Program to fix this (new logic board) at no cost but it expired in 2009 as I recall.

The specific problem was bad (leaking) capacitors on the logic board. Some affected capacitors may be evident when viewed through the computer's RAM door on the case bottom. They look like this:

User uploaded file

[click to enlarge image if needed]

This affected other computer brands as well as Apple and is not user-repairable unless you have great skill at desoldering small parts from logic boards and working around dangerous, high-voltage CRT circuitry.

Today, the cost of repair is several times more than any used eMac is worth,assuming yo ucan find a pulled, unaffected logic board.

I hope this is not at play with your computer but I fear the worst. The serial number check is usually the best indicator, as Apple knows those computers were affected.

PS: the serial number is on a sticker inside the optical drive door. The about list will not help if the serial number starts with "R" or "RM"--these are used on Apple-refurbished computers.

Jan 24, 2012 2:52 AM in response to Allan Jones

Hi Allan, thanks again for your help. The seriel number on my computer, inside the optical drive door doesn't match with any of those you've listed - it's um436 (possibly vm436). The fault's still there but I am managing to take things off; my intention had been to share all my movie files from imovie and upload to youtube. Will keep perservering, thanks Martin

My Emac has started freezing and screen image breaks up; all I can do is turn power off but then fault happens again - is this the end?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.