Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I get an eMac install DVD from?

I've just been given an eMac that was destined for the skip. It came with no install DVD's and the administrator password is unknown. Whoever cleaned it out before parting company with it put in an administrators name as "apple" but didn't clear the password which is asked for in order to make changes & take over the computer. I wanted it as a spare & to play old games on that I can't bear to part with since getting my MacBook Pro intel i5 laptop (now updated with OS 10.7 Lion on it.) I've done a bit of research to try to find how to 'hack' into the system and change the administrator password but it seems I need the install disk to do a clean install again. As this eMac is running Mac OS 10.4 I should be able to wirelessly connect it to my established system once I gain control of it & use it as storage/back up etc. I'd be grateful for any suggestions of either where I can get a disk from or how to change the root password. Is there anyone out there who can help? I'm not a very techy pro though have had macs for many years so know my way around one fairly well. Thanks 😕

MacBook Pro (17-inch 2.4 GHz), Mac OS X (10.7.2), Great machine I love it!

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 2:09 PM

It will be difficult to find the original Install/Restore disc, and then it may have an OS lower than Tiger 10.4

Here's severtal methods to reset the password without the install disc:

1. boot computer and hold the "apple" key and the "s" key.

2. wait for terminal show

3. release keys

4. type without the quotes: "/sbin/mount -uaw"

5. press enter

6. type without the quotes: "rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type without the quotes: "reboot"

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer.

Also, without the discs, look at Mac OS X Tip - No Password, No Root, No CD? No Problem.

http://www.macobserver.com/tip/2003/06/16.1.shtml

Here is a way to get around not knowing the admin password on Macs.

To reset your OS X password without an OS X CD you need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot

2. Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.

3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

* mount -uw /

* rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

* shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re good to go again!

 Cheers, Tom 😉

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2012 2:09 PM in response to Jane Elizabeth Smith

It will be difficult to find the original Install/Restore disc, and then it may have an OS lower than Tiger 10.4

Here's severtal methods to reset the password without the install disc:

1. boot computer and hold the "apple" key and the "s" key.

2. wait for terminal show

3. release keys

4. type without the quotes: "/sbin/mount -uaw"

5. press enter

6. type without the quotes: "rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type without the quotes: "reboot"

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer.

Also, without the discs, look at Mac OS X Tip - No Password, No Root, No CD? No Problem.

http://www.macobserver.com/tip/2003/06/16.1.shtml

Here is a way to get around not knowing the admin password on Macs.

To reset your OS X password without an OS X CD you need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot

2. Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.

3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

* mount -uw /

* rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

* shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re good to go again!

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Where can I get an eMac install DVD from?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.