Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion instalation will not work!

I have tried many things but the installation will not work.

😕 I own a 2 or 3 year old Mac Mini. I had Snow Leopard 10.6 and wanted to install Lion 10.7. Being completely stupid, I forgot to back up the hard drive incase something went wrong. I ran the Lion program I installed from the app store and restarted my mac. When the installation interface came up, I clicked continue, agree, and then on Macintosh HD. I waited about 36 to 40 minutes and saw a message something like this: "Lion could not install and will never be able to because there is something wrong with your computer." The next day I came back and looked up all kinds of stuff with the Disk Utility and tried every theoretically possible way EXCEPT erasing the main disk. I am really frustrated and I would be very thankfull if anyone could tell me how to get out of the installation menu, by either uninstalling Lion, installing Lion, or any other possible way to get my mac back to work, thanks! 🙂

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 2:23 PM

14 replies

Jan 19, 2012 2:35 PM in response to Dr. Question

Press and hold the power button 'til the Mac mini shuts down. Restart and hold the option key. This will bring up the Macintosh HD icon. Click the arrow below it to continue booting from the Macintosh HD.

This should get you back to Snow Leopard. If it did, go to the Apple Menu and select About this Mac. From the resulting window, what exactly does the Processor/Memory info say?

Jan 19, 2012 2:39 PM in response to Dr. Question

dangerous move without a good backup drive.

I'm assuming you are on mini that is later than 2006, but still a Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

would think to try bare minimum install without airdrop or to make sure your video card matches lion specs if you're stuck on install mode, might be somthing you can cancel out of.

if you don't think that there's anything wrong with your computer, can you boot back into snow leopard?

are you certain that you were up to the last snow leopard update?

if you're still locked up, I'd try restoring to the last backup if you can. hate to erase disks.

Jan 19, 2012 3:02 PM in response to Dr. Question

I dont get the whole "shift-key" thing but I did it and now im running the repair for like the tenth time!

Part of Safe-Mode process is a repair of the disk

I ran "vertify" and "repair" but the same error came up like before.

Then you have a Disk Error that needs to be repaired.

Boot from your SL Install Disk, select Utilities from the Menu Bar, then Disk Utility, then [Repair]

If Disk Utility cannot repair the Disk, you may have to try a 3rd Party solution, such as Disk Warrior ($99)

Make sure you are doing a Disk Repair, not a Permission repair

User uploaded file

Jan 19, 2012 3:42 PM in response to Tony T1

I just ran the "repair error" one more time and got this:

Verify and Repair volume “Macintosh HD"

Checking file systemChecking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.

Incorrect number of thread records

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking catalog hierarchy.

Checking extended attributes file.

Checking volume bitmap.

Checking volume information.

Repairing volume.

Rechecking volume.

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking catalog file.

Checking volume bitmap.

Repairing volume.

Rechecking volume.

Checking catalog file.

Checking volume bitmap.

Repairing volume.

Rechecking volume.

Checking catalog file.

Checking volume bitmap.

The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired after 3 attempts.

Umm... I think I did something wrong...

Feb 20, 2013 6:26 AM in response to Dr. Question

HOW TO SAVE ALL OF YOUR FILES WHILE IN INSTAL MODE

IF YOU CAN BACK UP BEFORE YOU INSTALL!!!

This is the methode that I used... so it may be a little different for you. But the basics should be the same.

So I figured out how to back up your files. What I did was I partitioned an 8GB flash drive to be formated as a computers drive using disk utility. Once this was done I could click install and would install it on the flash drive. The thing will go through the entire process of installing and will eventualy say something like: restart ur computer. Once you do that you need to hold the option key while restarting and select the partitioned flash drive. The computer will boot up. Once booted up it may take a long time (10min-2hours) for the flash drive to index. You shouldn't try doing anything while it indexes (you can tell its done by going to the spotlight search thing in the top right of your screen). Once done it will work much faster. Now go to finder and look under the shared tab. This tab shoud contain the name of your computer (if it doesn't show up... dont worry, just try again later). Click on it and say connect (you may have to enter the username and pasword of the administrator to connect). Once connected you should find all of the files that you have been missing. Connect a external hard drive to your computer and just drag and drop all of the files in your computer to that hard drive (this may take a while). Once the files are copied you can go to the nearest apple store and tell them to fix ur mac. Good luck!

Lion instalation will not work!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.