Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

media offline when importing photos

When I import still photos to incorporate in a project I often see the red media offline box in the timeline. Sometimes they play fine and all is well in the final project when burned in iDVD, but other times the red box remains. It is soemtimes difficult to locate the files to reconnect the media so I will often bring the photo in again. Is there a better way to overcome this problem?

I wondered if converting the stills through MPEG streamclip might be an option? Any thoughts on this please?

Thanks, Keith

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 5:16 PM

This may help:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/443883?answerId=2145228022#2145228022

Al

7 replies

Jan 19, 2012 7:18 PM in response to Keith Worsley-Brown

>It is soemtimes difficult to locate the files to reconnect the media so I will often bring the photo in again

I'm old so maybe I don't understand, but if it's so easy to "bring in the photo again" why are they not staying connected in the first place? Where are you storing the image files that they can get so easily unlinked to the project file? Always store files to be used in your project on the drive you assigned as the capture/scratch drive in FCE so you'll always know where they are. It keeps things simple.

>Any thoughts on using MPEG streamclip for importing stills? Worth a try?

Huh? Why would that even be a consideration? MPEG Streamclip won't import anything into an FCE project. In FCE, just go to File->Import->Files. Or to import an entire folder of images, go to File->Import->Folder.

-DH

Jan 19, 2012 7:51 PM in response to David Harbsmeier

Those are helpful obseravtions David, thank you. I import the photos into FCE from iPhoto and they appear in the Browser. Often when I have been working on the project for a few days, suddenly the timeline and the browser will show the red meda offline warning.

Your reminder to place them in a folder is helpful as I did that once and had no problem. I was able to number them in the correct order too (using three digits). Your point about assigning them to the scratch disc is helpful as I have tended to just place them on the desktop to make them easy to access.

The reason I asked about MPEG streamclip was because I wondered if the problem I was having may have been due to the wrong format for the photos. Clealry this is not the issue. (I have great faith in MPEG streamclip BTW!)

Thanks again, Keith

Jan 20, 2012 3:50 AM in response to Keith Worsley-Brown

Keith,

MPEG Streamclip is a great app and I use it several times every week for a variety of conversions tasks.

FWIW, FCE will work with many still image formats as long as the images are under 4000k pixels and are in RGB Color Mode. Images in Grayscale, Indexed or CMYK Color Mode will be in compatible and must be converted to RGB prior to importing intoo FCE.

As for still image file formats, I prefer using uncompressed TIFF files. Of course, JPEG images will work, but the JPG compression scheme is such that every time you save a JPEG image, it gets recompressed and that recompression process causes unwanted artifacts which only multiply with each save/resave.

BTW, the term "import" in the context of an FCE project simply means "to associate" a file with that project. FCE and FCP are essentially just a complex database applications that keep up with all of the locations of the files you import and render. Whenever a file is moved, the location path changes and FCE will claim that file is offline because it's no longer at the same path location as before. The reconnection process simply 'shows' FCE the new location path. One of the most common mistakes a lot of people make when using FCE/FCP is to import files from removable sources such as CD/DVD discs or a thumb drive. Then they can't figure out why the media goes offline when they remove the source.

Perhaps it's an organizational illness I have (aka: anal retentiveness), but since FCE creates folders for each project when you capture or transfer footage, and those folder bear the project's name, the logical place to store imported files such as still images or other graphics would be that same folder. It makes it so easy to keep up with where all the files for your project reside.

-DH

Jan 20, 2012 8:51 AM in response to David Harbsmeier

Thank you David, that's really helpful and I now have a better understanding of the process. I do appreciate your advice and the insights into how you approach the inclusion of still images.

Thank you for taking to trouble to write this down. I will print out these notes and keep in my ever-expanding binder of FCE topics. This forum has been so helpful, and it's been great to know there are knowledgeable and sympathetic friends on line who help us through the learnig process.

I'm sure your explanations will help other readers too. Keith

Jan 20, 2012 8:55 AM in response to Keith Worsley-Brown

The hardest part (for me) to get used to is that there is always more than one way to do just about anything on a computer ... and especially in FCE/FCP. My way might not be the best for everyone but it's been working for me for many years now. Experiment a bit and find which way works best for you ... then stick to that. Consistency always helps!

-DH

media offline when importing photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.