Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iPhone desperately needs missed call notification!

Before my iPhone 4s, I had a Motorola Clamshell phone. If I missed a call, it would beep few minutes to indicate that I had missed a call. Now with the iPhone 4s, I've received calls from work after hours, and missed several because of a lack of missed call notifications. My phone was just sitting there, and it wasn't until hours later I looked at the phone that knew I had missed a call.

I've read other threads on this issue, and know that there is not an app for that, since applications cannot access the private phone API. Bummer. I've read in some threads that not having missed call notifications is not a big deal, but I disagree completely. I'm an big Apple fan, and have in my house two iMacs, a MacBook Pro, two iPads, two iPods, and three apple TV's.

Is there an Apple "feature request" site where I could enter mssed call notification as a request, for this sorely missed feature?

-Thanks

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 6:43 PM

I just foud where you can enter feature requests:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

18 replies

Feb 26, 2012 12:53 PM in response to zBernie

Yep it's ridiculous that they don't at least add the option for a unlimited repeating beep etc. until you acknowlege the missed call/text. Every cell phone I've had since the 1990's has had that option. I understand it might use more battery, but give people the option for it. A lot of people don't look at their phone every 15 minutes, but do want to know when they've missed a call.

Evidently Apple just can't imagine anyone ever being away from their iphone for more than 20 minutes (the longest time frame you can set it to remind you if you've missed a call, text, email).

This is by far the biggest annoyance of the Iphone for anyone that needs to know if they've missed calls and doesn't want to unlock their phone every 15 minutes to find out.

And Apple wonders why so many users jailbreak their phones.

Jan 26, 2015 10:23 AM in response to zBernie

This question is why I signed up to this community! I see I'm not the only one!!! For me the most important feature above all is a missed call/message alert that I can set every 15 minutes or so like my old 16 year old phone I had with my old service. I am absolutely shocked that this basic old feature is not on the iphone. I have had my iphone for a year now and it has been absolute ****! Might as well not even have a phone! I'd gladly give up all the rest of the features including the email and web browsing just for that one feature!!! I have a P.C.! I need a phone! What is the point of having a phone if you never get the calls? Imagine the old message machines not having a blinking light to tell you you have message? Imagine you have to turn it on every time to check to see if you had a message? That's what it is like!!! I just can't imagine that Apple thinks we carry our phones around on our bodies every minute of the day. I'm a babysitting grandmother who is very busy! I have told the kids to call over and over and not to text me because I never know when I missed a call/message because I was in the shower, checking the mail, the baby was crying and I didn't hear that one time alert. It has turned me into a neurotic mess constantly turning on my phone to check if I received a message or call.

Also, it is awful that there is no way to turn off incoming calls and messages while your talking on the phone! It is very rude to have to have your busy Dr. have to repeat himself over and over because someone was calling or messaging. With all the features one can turn off and on why not a feature that turns off incoming alerts while your talking on the phone! Part of my problem is that I set my alerts to the shortest quietest sound because it was preventing me from hearing the person who called me.

I feel that simple basic life helping, ease of use features have been forfeited for fancy features that are of no use to me.

Jan 26, 2015 12:01 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Hi and thanks, but I still have to turn my phone on and go to my phone app to see if I missed a cal!! That is my point of my post.

My old 16 year old phone had an option to set a beep and had a auto backlight flash that flashed until I answered it. That phone still turns on and the battery has never been replaced.

I do not want to have to keep turning my phone on to see if I missed a call or message.

And, I you said to turn on the "do not disturb" before I answer my calls so I don't hear them in my ear and while on a call. Do I have to remember to turn it back off when I'm done. Isn't this harder then having an option to turn off sound while I'm talking. I see all these other nonsensical options, it's weird and annoying.

Thanks

Jan 26, 2015 12:12 PM in response to suzieQ1956

suzieQ1956 wrote:

Hi and thanks, but I still have to turn my phone on and go to my phone app to see if I missed a cal!! That is my point of my post.

My old 16 year old phone had an option to set a beep and had a auto backlight flash that flashed until I answered it. That phone still turns on and the battery has never been replaced.

I do not want to have to keep turning my phone on to see if I missed a call or message.

And, I you said to turn on the "do not disturb" before I answer my calls so I don't hear them in my ear and while on a call. Do I have to remember to turn it back off when I'm done. Isn't this harder then having an option to turn off sound while I'm talking. I see all these other nonsensical options, it's weird and annoying.

Thanks

Yes, because that is such a ponderous effort. If your iPhone is turned off (or ANY phone is turned off), then you're never going to get a notification. There is no mobile phone in the world that will notify you of an incoming call or a missed call if it is turned off.

Why not have your ringer turned on? Why not set your LED Alert notification on?

Read the manual.

Jan 26, 2015 12:19 PM in response to suzieQ1956

It's not really clear why you have an iPhone if you don't want most of the features it has but do want features that your old phone has. If the iPhone doesnot meet your needs, you should definitely get something that does.

I do wonder why, if the calls are so important, you don't have the phone with you all of the time. I have a case with a clip. It's simple. It prevents me from mislaying my phone or leaving it behind.

I don't use DND to silence alerts when I'm on a call, I use the mute switch. And, just as I had to train myself to end a call, I have trained myself to flip the switch back when I'm done. It doesn't take very long to develop the habit.

Best of luck.

Jan 26, 2015 1:11 PM in response to suzieQ1956

suzieQ1956 wrote:

For me the most important feature above all is a missed call/message alert that I can set every 15 minutes or so like my old 16 year old phone I had with my old service.

This may not solve the call notification issue, but it may help with messages: Settings > Notifications > Messages > Repeat Alert

Jan 26, 2015 1:30 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Actually it is impossible to have my phone on me all the time. And my phone is on!!! I'm busy watching children, cleaning and constantly in different places around the house. And yes it is too ponderous an effort that is driving me nuts! And I'm not the only one.

My husband had to change carriers for work. He did not want to pay two different phone bills so I had to get a new phone. My old one was a Sanyo 2700. I know it was my mistake to assume that the iphone would have that old feature. The non-smartphone options are one phone per store. My adult children said iphone would be easier. Never dreamed I'd have this problem. I know many other women in my age group that say "it's too much phone for me" all the time. We all buy them because options are not there. It's just where we are at this place in time - no option between antique and smartphone. Selling it is an option when I find a phone that has this feature if Apple won't change this feature on the iphone. I just want a phone that can alert me until I respond.

As far as wearing a phone on a clip as you suggest, I have no belt to clip it on. I wear womens pants with elastic and even when I put the phone in these short womans pockets it still makes my pants slide down when I walk. AND I would never go to the bathroom with my phone in my pant pockets! Good way to end up in the toilet. My husband carries his in his pockets but they are deep! Huge difference. I can't make the designers change that either. I bet more women loose it down the toilet then men!

My calls are important as they are to anyone. I do have my ringer on all the time. But I have to have two hands for many tasks like taking out the garbage. Thought about hanging it in a bag around my neck but that would bug me banging into me all the time, dangling over my work, and making my neck hurt from the weight.

I am saying that the option should be available for those of us who do not live the lifestyle that requires us to always have our phones right at our fingertips.

Is that too much to ask? This is an older feature. Why did they abandon it? Is this a cultural shift? Do they assume everyone will have their iphone on their bodies every minute? Are the developers all men? Just curious.

Thanks

Jan 26, 2015 1:37 PM in response to suzieQ1956

suzieQ1956 wrote:

I am saying that the option should be available for those of us who do not live the lifestyle that requires us to always have our phones right at our fingertips.

Is that too much to ask? This is an older feature. Why did they abandon it? Is this a cultural shift? Do they assume everyone will have their iphone on their bodies every minute? Are the developers all men? Just curious.

Thanks

To answer your questions, the option is not available right now. The link to provide feedback to Apple regarding a desire for additional options is in the thread earlier on.

It may be an older feature on other devices, but it has never been a feature on the iPhone, so it has never been abandoned. As far as a cultural shift, while there have been changes, not every one keeps the iPhone on their body every minute, but Apple's design model is to have it as is. While you can adjust text messages to repeat alerts, there are no repeat alerts available for a phone call or voicemail message. Going over and over again about 16 year old phones, or other brand phones is not going to change things, they are what they are, and as users, the only influence we have on change is to provide feedback as stated earlier.

Jan 26, 2015 2:13 PM in response to Styna

Well thanks! I found it and I set it for the max 10 times. With it alerting every two minutes that gives me 20 minutes. I'll see how much that helps. Who knows the time frames I've been missing them by. It's better then no reminders at all, for texts at least.

I did give feedback last week or so regarding this issue.

I feel too insignificant to matter to them.

Jan 26, 2015 2:20 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Apple has never had that feature? Wow, I guess Apple user don't know what their missing! I got spoiled big time on that most important feature.

I did give the feedback. But with billions of people who don' know what a great feature their missing, how can I ever expect to be heard?

I said my peace now I can let it go.

I'll see what the future brings as to whether I stay with Apple or go.

Thanks fro your time.

Jan 26, 2015 2:45 PM in response to suzieQ1956

This is what this is all about. To you it is a great feature and people are missing it. To many it is not. The reason for that is what you were talking about earlier with social change/cultural shift. Many people spend a great deal of time on their devices. The iPhone is not designed as only a phone, and that is one of the things that is popular about it. Because many people spend such a great deal of time on the device, they see when they miss some notification. Also, many people nowadays do not communicate by phone, but by email and messaging. Messaging includes an option for multiple alerts.

Feedback is the best way to get the word across, but I can tell you it has been that way now since the release of the first device in 2007. It may not change. As far as my time is concerned, your welcome. Always a joy to discuss the device with new users.

Jan 29, 2015 8:15 AM in response to suzieQ1956

suzieQ1956 wrote:

Apple has never had that feature? Wow, I guess Apple user don't know what their missing! I got spoiled big time on that most important feature.

I did give the feedback. But with billions of people who don' know what a great feature their missing, how can I ever expect to be heard?

I said my peace now I can let it go.

I'll see what the future brings as to whether I stay with Apple or go.

Thanks fro your time.

I'm not missing anything. Nor did I ever tell you to put your phone on a clip. I personally don't see what the problem is with walking over to your iPhone and checking to see if there are any missed calls. I used to have to do the same thing with an answering machine. You can choose mohave the Notification Center available on the Lock Screen and choose to have the Phone app display Notifications. It's literally as easy as touching the Hoe button to activate the screen, then swiping down to open notification center.

My iPhone will show a missed call on my lock screen. And it stays there for quite some time. I've never tested how long it stays on the lock screen, but if it wasn't there, I can pull down the Notification Center and look under 'Missed' to see the call.

1. Press Home Button

2. Pull down Notification Center. Once you've selected 'Missed', it stays there, but if it's not, you tap on 'Missed'.

What, exactly, are you wanting? A flashing light on the device until you acknowledge that you know you missed a call?

The iPhone desperately needs missed call notification!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.