Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I use multiple backup disks using time machine

I know I can back up multiple macs with TC and TM. but can I attach a TC and another hard drive (via a NAS) and have TM back up to both..... just for redundancy security.

MacBook Pro, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 8:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 8:31 PM

Loaded question.

Some NAS drives will support Time Machine backups and some will not, so you would need to check with the drive manufacturer in advance to make sure that the drive you were interested in will work correctly.

Time Machine on one given Mac can only backup to one destination drive at a time.

You can change the destination drive(s), but you would have to do this manually in Time Machine Preferences.

Kind of clunky, but it would work if you remember to switch drives each day or week, etc.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2012 8:31 PM in response to poolboy2035

Loaded question.

Some NAS drives will support Time Machine backups and some will not, so you would need to check with the drive manufacturer in advance to make sure that the drive you were interested in will work correctly.

Time Machine on one given Mac can only backup to one destination drive at a time.

You can change the destination drive(s), but you would have to do this manually in Time Machine Preferences.

Kind of clunky, but it would work if you remember to switch drives each day or week, etc.

Oct 31, 2012 7:43 AM in response to poolboy2035

Multiple listed target volumes is supported in Mountain Lion (10.8); just add the additional backup drive in System Preferences > Time Machine.

Time Machine will automatically rotate between the backup drives alternately. If only one drive is available, it will use that until the other drives come back. Restores default to using the most recent available backup.

can I use multiple backup disks using time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.