Previous 1 2 Next 26 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 9:06 AM by mdbpatriot
bookarts Level 1 Level 1

I created a book in iBooks Author (very easy), and uploaded it using iTunes Producer. However, I didn't realize I needed to create a separate sample book/publication preview. Now, when I look at my book in iTunes Connect, it says, "No publication preview uploaded. You must upload a publication preview before it can appear on the store." However, I can't find any way to upload my publication preview after the fact. Interestingly, in iTunes Producer, it says "Optional Preview", so that's why I didn't worry about including it. I click on "choose", then navigate to where I saved the sample book file, and it is greyed out so I can't select it. I did try starting from scratch, but it still didn't include the preview. If I save the preview in iBooks Author's default location, then I can't find the files anywhere on my computer, so I just saved it in my documents. Any ideas?

Solved by bookarts on Jan 20, 2012 6:32 PM Solved
It turned out to be as simple as deleting iTunes Producer, then downloading the most recent version. The old version worked well enough with iBooks Author to upload the actual book, but not the preview. Go figure. Unlike most Apple software, I don't seem to get any sort of notification if there is a newer version of iTunes Producer. Now I am just waiting to see when and if my book is accepted and appears on the iBooks store.
Reply by bookarts on Jan 23, 2012 8:38 AM Helpful
In the latest version of iTunes Producer, the box says "Upload Publication Preview" and it's right next to the box for the book itself. In the older version, it said something like "Optional Preview". It was still next to the box for the book itself, but the spot for the cover was also on that page. When you hit publish in iBooks Author, it will automatically open iTunes Producer and put the book in there for you, but you have to select the preview yourself.
Reply by bookarts on Jan 23, 2012 9:43 AM Helpful
I don't know what to say, because for me it is indeed in the assets section (in both the older version I had and the new one I downloaded), so I don't know why it wouldn't be there for other people. I would contact Apple support if your program doesn't give you a way to upload the required file. It could be a different version of the software because of which OS you are using or what country you are in, but I just don't know.

All replies

• bookarts Level 1 Level 1

It turned out to be as simple as deleting iTunes Producer, then downloading the most recent version. The old version worked well enough with iBooks Author to upload the actual book, but not the preview. Go figure. Unlike most Apple software, I don't seem to get any sort of notification if there is a newer version of iTunes Producer. Now I am just waiting to see when and if my book is accepted and appears on the iBooks store.

• limtc Level 1 Level 1

What is the latest version? I only saw 2.5.1 and I didn't even see a place called "Publication Preview" to drag the imsp file into.

In the latest version of iTunes Producer, the box says "Upload Publication Preview" and it's right next to the box for the book itself. In the older version, it said something like "Optional Preview". It was still next to the box for the book itself, but the spot for the cover was also on that page. When you hit publish in iBooks Author, it will automatically open iTunes Producer and put the book in there for you, but you have to select the preview yourself.

• David meme Level 1 Level 1

I don't know if it is a bug but I cannot find any box that says "Upload Publication Preview". No matter what I have done - delete iTunes produces, update iTunes, reinstall etc. etc. there is no such box and hence the book stays in limbo. Any advice on where this mysterious box is to be found would be appreciated.

Note: It is not in the Assets section of iTunes Producer. There is only one box with Upload Publication.

I don't know what to say, because for me it is indeed in the assets section (in both the older version I had and the new one I downloaded), so I don't know why it wouldn't be there for other people. I would contact Apple support if your program doesn't give you a way to upload the required file. It could be a different version of the software because of which OS you are using or what country you are in, but I just don't know.

This is all very strange and quite frustrating. I have everything at latest version including Lion. It appears to be a bug as the pane is suspiciously big enough for a couple of entries. Screen Shot 2012-01-23 at 18.46.20.png

I'll try a complete wipe of the application and its preference data in the library to see it that wakes up iTunes Producer to allow me to make the change.

Ok, I am not sure but it looks like in the free version there is no publication sample required as outlined in the iTunes Producer manual.

Have uploaded and now wait and see what happens... if anything...

• rosneg Level 1 Level 1

I also cannot drag the sample book book to the sample area.  Apple makes making the book easy but getting it onto iTunes very difficult

• limtc Level 1 Level 1

Where is the box? This is what I see? Is the latest version 2.5.1?

ibook.png

• limtc Level 1 Level 1

No matter what I do, I always end up verification/deliver success... then nothing. Check status and it says "Import Error".

I am close to give up this iBookstore thing! I just wanted to upload a free book!

• johnfromsandusky Level 1 Level 1

I finally got my package uploaded but have the same message in iTunes Connect about needing the preview. I don't have a clue what the preview is and can't find anything about it in Help or anywhere! Frustrating. Here is the screenshot of what I have, but I don't know what to put in the preview box. I have the screenshot pic and finally got it the right size, but the upload kept erroring out until I got it This is version 2.5.1

screenshot.jpg

For the preview, when you have your book open in iBooks Author, go to the File Menu and select duplicate. This will create a duplicate copy of your book. You may want to rename it. On the second copy, decide what pages you want to include in the preview/sample book, and delete all the other pages. Once you've saved the shorter version, go to the file menu and select export. This will bring up a window, where you should make sure you've clicked on iBooks for the export type. Then it will ask you to name and save it.

Once you've done that, open the iTunes Producer file with all your book information, and find the box for the preview version and then navigate to the new file and add that. Then when you upload your book, it should include both the full book and the preview version.

Is this a free book or a paid version you are creating? Maybe that explains why the panel is missing a preview in freebooks?

Or create the preview *version* you need to do that in iBooks Author.

But there is definitely something strange about the iTunes Content thingy...

• johnfromsandusky Level 1 Level 1

Did exactly as directed. Re-delivered sucessfully, and ibooks still doesn't show that the preview is uploaded. I'll see if it shows up later.

David: I created a paid version of a book.

Previous 1 2 Next