Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to blacklist a usb device in BSD?

I am having trouble communicating with a usb device while running Virtualbox on my iMac (Lion). Virtualbox is virtualization software which lets me run Windows XP as a guest OS. I am trying to run Palm Desktop for Windows on the virtual computer and I have trouble getting the USB connected Palm device to sync to the Windows application. It turns out the Palm device's use of the USB protocol is not quite conventional and so the virtual OS has trouble capturing it and presenting it to the Windows application.

Others who run Virtualbox under linux have seen this same problem with Palm devices and have found a workaround by disabling the host linux USB driver so that the Virtualbox application has unfettered access to it. This process is called "blacklisting" a USB device under linux, and involves editing the "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf" linux config file. My question is can I perform a similar operation in MacOS? The BSD I/O subsystem is different enough from linux to prevent me from knowing where to go in OSX to do a similar modification.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 12:36 AM

2 replies

Mar 18, 2014 5:19 PM in response to punmeister

I'm having the same problem. I can't get OS X to ignore an SPI digital logic device (MCP2210) that I want to run from my Windows XP Virtual Box in order to control an experiment. Virtual Box sees it but it's grayed out under the list of USB devices to mount in Windows XP, and I don't know how to get the Max OS X to released/unmount/ignore/blacklist it.

how to blacklist a usb device in BSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.