Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I reset program windows to their default sizes?

When you first install a program and open it, it will have a default window size. I have since resized these windows so they take up the whole screen. How do I change them back to the default window size that the program had when it was opened for the first time?

If it involves using scripts to resize the window to a specific size*, where can I find the parameters for the default window size that programs come with?

* eg:

tell application "iTunes"

set bounds of front browser window to {5, 25, 900, 700}

end tell

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.6.8 on Macbook Pro

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 2:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 2:15 AM

In general, the only way to get an app to display it's windows in its original size is to remove it's preference file (plist) assuming the app even remembers its window sizes and positions in the first place. So basically forget it. Just try clicking the green dot in the upper left of the window to hopefully unzoom the window. Then you can set some desirable size and position.

FWIW, odds are pretty good you are not going to find the original sizes and positions. First it varies from app to app. Second it is usually burried (i.e., encoded) in the nib files which are part of a app's bundle.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2012 2:15 AM in response to agcla

In general, the only way to get an app to display it's windows in its original size is to remove it's preference file (plist) assuming the app even remembers its window sizes and positions in the first place. So basically forget it. Just try clicking the green dot in the upper left of the window to hopefully unzoom the window. Then you can set some desirable size and position.

FWIW, odds are pretty good you are not going to find the original sizes and positions. First it varies from app to app. Second it is usually burried (i.e., encoded) in the nib files which are part of a app's bundle.

How can I reset program windows to their default sizes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.