Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i get a messages that says the recipient was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying' anyone know how to fix this?

HI, when i try to send an email on my iphone i get a message that says, a copy has been placed in your outbox, the recipient 'their email' was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying,

does anyone know how to fix this?

i've only had my phone since october but i cant remember if the emails not worked properly since i had it, i dont send many emails on it, but i know it worked on my iphone 3gs before i got this 1

i can read my emails OK, i just cant send any.

any help would be appreciated.

many thanks

piccles33

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 6:10 AM

15 replies

Nov 7, 2012 4:57 PM in response to piccles33

I've been having this problem with my iPhone 4 and my iPhone 5, but only when I try to forward messages or attachments from my phone over 4G via AT&T. When I go home and get back on a wireless network, or go to a public place with wireless, the message sends. I am aware the AT&T uses cwmx.com as the outgoing server and I added it as a secondary server. I have tried adding my username and password on outgoing mail on both my regular Email server and over the cwmx.com server - and both won't allow it to save, saying that they don't use password authentication. So none of this helps. Any new ideas?

Nov 7, 2012 5:02 PM in response to William Galic

cwmx.com does not allow username and password ever. If your ISP's doesn't either that means that it will only work when you are on their network. This is unusual, but not unheard of. But CWMX should work. Unfortunately, sometimes it is flakey. And it has limitations on the size of attachments. This may be your problem also. Ask your ISP if they have an SMTP server that is accessible from outside of their network. If not you can use a public SMTP server such as Google's.

Apr 13, 2013 7:05 PM in response to piccles33

I had the exact same problem, and went through all of the obvious (and not so obvious) steps. Believe it or not, here's the solution that worked for me: Even though it is listed as "optional" enter your user name (and password, if you haven't yet) in the outgoing mail server. Not sure why, but putting my user name allowed messages to be relayed. Perhaps that should no longer be listed as "optional"...

Apr 14, 2013 4:15 PM in response to SBIII

That is a little confusing; it is "optional" as far as the phone is concerned, but your email provider will generally require it to verify that it is a real subscriber using their network. The only cases where it will not be required is if you are using the phone with your cellular carrier's SMTP server or you are connected to your email providers network via WiFi.

i get a messages that says the recipient was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying' anyone know how to fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.