Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't unzip .zip files... (ERROR 2)

all the latest zip files I've downloaded can't be unzipped using the standard unzipper tool (Archive Utility). I keep getting error 2: no such file or directory. When I use "the Unzipper" I can unzip the content but the content is instead corrupted.

The same files works fine to download and unzipp for others. But if they are downloaded on their computer and then transferred to min using a usb stick the samething happens.

One of the files in question is the latest mercurial version for OSx 10.7 from http://mercurial.selenic.com/downloads/

I'm using the latest macbook pro with the i7 processor and osx 10.7.2 and I'm a beginner!

I'd appreciate any help!

Cheers

André

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 6:13 AM

27 replies

Jun 12, 2017 8:22 AM in response to cerpha

HI!
As AlanRom_said before. It's one of those problems with the Archive utility. Usually, in good unzipping applications, the app would see if the file is encrypted with a password and notify you and ask you the password, the finder version of the Archive Utility do a lame work on that. And, as it can't read the file, it just throw up the error you saw.

The solution AlanRom_ gave is good. But, if you don't have internet access (Oh, yes, it can happen.) or you don't want to download another program, OR YOU DONT WANT TO PAY 2,99! (It's a good program tough) you can unzip this encrypted files on the terminal:

1. Open terminal.
  2. Navigate to the folder where your encrypted zip is (Or just cd drag and drop the enclosing folder to the terminal window).
  3. Do the command unzip Mypasswordprotectedfile.zip (Or again, just drag and drop the file)
  4. You'll be prompted for your zip password, enter it (You won't be able to see it) and press enter.
  5. Enjoy your unzipped file.

User uploaded file

Cheers!

Sep 12, 2017 9:30 AM in response to ZigmaSdirigeant

Zigma,

This looks like it worked, but where did it put all of the extracted files? I opened Terminal, typed unzip, left a space, then dropped my .zip file and hit Enter. Terminal started "extracting" file after file. When it stopped, it just gave me another command prompt. I have no idea where to find the files or if they actually were extracted.

Sep 12, 2017 1:29 PM in response to theshummer

Update: I eventually found the files. They extracted under my user profile and were just sitting there among the other folders like Applications, Documents, Downloads, etc.

Question: I used to be able to unzip files with no problems. This just started all of a sudden about 6 months ago. No password protections, I'm just downloading my backed up pictures from One Drive to my desktop. Any ideas??

Jan 21, 2012 5:43 AM in response to cerpha

It's not a virus. See my Mac Malware Guide regarding that topic:

http://www.reedcorner.net/guides/macvirus

Something is probably causing those zip files to become corrupt, but what that might be is hard to say. I'd try repairing your hard drive with Disk Utility. (Hold down command-R at startup to repair the boot drive.) I'd also do some careful checking of your network connection to make sure that's not introducing errors in downloaded data.

Jul 30, 2013 4:01 PM in response to cerpha

I was getting "Error 2", but when I switched to using command-line "unzip" command I just got a different error:

>> End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not

a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the

latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on

the last disk(s) of this archive.

... I did find a fix for this, though I don't understand it. I used the "jar xvf" command given as a solution here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/54904/unzip-error-end-of-central-directory-signat ure-not-found

Jan 17, 2014 9:36 AM in response to cerpha

I verified (to see what was the problem, though I could've just gone straight to repair) and repaired permissions using Disk Utility. Apparently, there was, in my case, some sort of massive permissions problem caused by iBooks, which was impeding other Apps I use for documents to function improperly. Luckily, after repairing permissions, the problem was solved. Hope this helps.

Apr 3, 2014 9:24 PM in response to cerpha

I had the same problem on a company's computer and I found this post which is very useful coz I recognize it's a drive's permission problems that caused this, not that the file was corrupted. Unfortunately I couldn't repair permission due to Company's Mac privileges, therefore I copied the file onto an external harddrive which I thought is a seperate drive and probably won't have those permission problems, and it worked too, unzipped nicely.

Hope it's helpful.

Can't unzip .zip files... (ERROR 2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.