Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error -50 and 8008

Can someone please help me figure this out? Whenever I download a video file in iTunes I get error -50 or 8008, but usually -50 at least the first error. I tried deleting the files from my computer and downloading them again-doesn't help. I tried clicking check for available downloads 3 times. I tried disabling security software, but I don't see any and I haven't installed anything that didn't come on the MacBook in terms of security. I have a MacBook Pro operating on Lion OS. I have the most updated version of iTunes, etc. Music downloads just fine and when I download movies on my AppleTV on the same wireless network it works fine as well.

When I get these errors, I can click resume download and usually after about 20-30 clicks of resume (because the error pops up again after anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes), I can get the video to completely download. But that's annoying. And there's one file that won't download still. It's driving me crazy and I've done EVERYTHING the Apple support stuff has said to do. Any suggestions?!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 7:14 AM

7 replies

Jan 20, 2012 7:30 AM in response to SMT22

-50 is a general communications error which I guess could take place anywhere alsong the line. I have references to it happening with FAT formatted drives, iDisk, user having two drives with identical names. Are you trying to download to an external drive? Whatever, I suggest you try to keep the system as simple as possible to try to narrow down possibilities. I don't know if anything at Apple's end (or the Internet's) would give the same error message.

Here's one where the ISP had an issue.

HD downloads are Broken with a #50 error - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3663076 - ISP had inadequate equipment for large download.

Jan 20, 2012 7:32 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks! Nope, just trying to download straight to my MacBook. Nothing fancy at all-I don't have iDisk to my knowledge. I'm not sure how to simplify it any further. There's just one iTunes account on this computer and everything goes to the same place.

Now, I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I bought the laptop in the US before I moved overseas to Europe. I didn't have it for very long in the states before I moved here, but I don't remember this happening before I moved. The timezone/date are all on auto so that's not the problem, but could there be some sort of setting I need to adjust for overseas connections? I'm just guessing.

Jan 20, 2012 7:54 AM in response to SMT22

I don't for sure know the answer but video files are large. Music files are small. I don't know the details about AppleTV (never seen one personally). If it is using streaming then that too is smaller chunks. There's a few extra thousand miles between you and the servers and that many more links to cause issues. If somethingbreaks down for a second or two it may not matter in transferring a small file, but a large file could choke something somewhere.

Errr, strictly speaking you're not supposed to use an account for a country unless you are physically present in that country (the media companies make the rules about overseas distribution and they don't care if you don't want to only be able to view the latest Harry Potter in Serbo-Croat). I wouldn't go complaining to Apple about this.

Error -50 and 8008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.