Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery cycles

First generation MBAir had a 300 cycles battery,

after which the battery would start diminishing it's overall power.

What is the number of cycles on the latest model?

I can't seem to find the info in my MBA.

MBAir, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 8:30 AM

Apple says new notebook batteries are designed to retain 80% of original capacity after 1000 cycles, and last up to 5 years. (2nd paragraph)

What bothers me is these sporadic reports of battery swelling after a couple of years. Granted, it doesn't seem widespread, but enough that their should be acknowledgement of cause and effect. Users report that Apple is saying that the customer should have replaced their battery, of their own volition before the incident. What is left out is a cogent explanation of just what a user is supposed to use as a clear indicator of when that change-out should be undertaken. I've not seen the number of cycles discussed in these reports, and whether the user exceeded the rating or not.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2012 8:30 AM in response to BG Denis

Apple says new notebook batteries are designed to retain 80% of original capacity after 1000 cycles, and last up to 5 years. (2nd paragraph)

What bothers me is these sporadic reports of battery swelling after a couple of years. Granted, it doesn't seem widespread, but enough that their should be acknowledgement of cause and effect. Users report that Apple is saying that the customer should have replaced their battery, of their own volition before the incident. What is left out is a cogent explanation of just what a user is supposed to use as a clear indicator of when that change-out should be undertaken. I've not seen the number of cycles discussed in these reports, and whether the user exceeded the rating or not.

battery cycles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.